Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Judges Needed To Finish NHC 1st Round - SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY - Help!  (Read 9177 times)

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
Re: Judges Needed To Finish NHC 1st Round - SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY - Help!
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2011, 02:08:11 pm »
Sorry for the late hit on this, but FYI

Any idea how the beer has been stored for a month? Entries bottled for a judging the first week in April might not be at their best on the 1st week of May if they've been stored hot.

No problems with beer storage. It was kept refrigerated prior to competition and during competition (at least the first weekend).

Hefe - probably past it's prime.

German wheat and rye was one of the first styles to be judged. My wife and I judged both flights of German wheat and rye on Friday night and Saturday morning. Other than the problems of having to do a mini-BoS with recapped hefeweizens from the night before, enormous flights to judge and no stewards, there were no problems.

I was very worried that the mini-BoS hefeweizens from the Friday night session weren't going to be any good on Saturday, but I was wrong. We were careful to recap bottles immediately after judging and the temporary bottle caps worked splendidly. Our 1st and 2nd place beers both came from the Friday night session and survived being opened, recapped and put back into the refrigerator overnight.

Other beers I remember being judged on the first weekend include Amber Hybids, French & Belgian Ales, Specialty, Sour Beers, and I think American ales.

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2011, 02:11:17 pm »
Got one of my score-sheets from Saratoga in the mail today, very happy with the feedback.  One question though, is it usual to not send score-sheets together for multiple entries?  I entered two beers and only got score-sheets for one of them, I thought both sets would come together...

Multiple scoresheets in one packet is the usual and most efficient practice, but the NE regional was neither usual nor efficient. It's quite likely that your entries weren't all judged at the same time, so you scoresheets weren't all in one place.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2011, 02:37:38 pm »
Got one of my score-sheets from Saratoga in the mail today, very happy with the feedback.  One question though, is it usual to not send score-sheets together for multiple entries?  I entered two beers and only got score-sheets for one of them, I thought both sets would come together...

Cheers,
Chris

I would have thought they'd come together.  All the scoresheets for all of my entries came in one envelope, but then I was entered in the Nashville one.

I got extra score sheets in my envelope.  It's OK - I was able to forward them on to the proper entrant.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2011, 08:13:00 pm »
I also got my score sheets today.  :)

They all came together.
Ron Price