Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ask Sierra Nevada’s Experts - additional questions and answers  (Read 8687 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Ask Sierra Nevada’s Experts - additional questions and answers
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 10:29:40 am »
It depends on the temperature and pressure, yah?   ;)
Like most things. :)

...you better not forget that around here... you might get uhh well just don't forget it.  ;)  :P
Ron Price

ccarlson

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 10:34:28 am »
Everything in brewing ( actually life itself) can be accomplished with the correct temperature and pressure. ;)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 10:41:33 am »
It sounds like SN racks off the primary yeast (Old School :)). I wonder if that means they drop the trub and yeast from their conicals or do they actually transfer the beer.

My bet is that they drop the yeast/trub as it's the logical method.  :-\

Thoughts?
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 02:45:08 pm »
It sounds like SN racks off the primary yeast (Old School :)). I wonder if that means they drop the trub and yeast from their conicals or do they actually transfer the beer.

Thoughts?
Ron,

Once the fermentation is done they "stabilize" the beer in the fermenters with PVPP and another clarifying agent.  The yeast is then dumped from the bottom.  It is a real sight to see the yeast from an 800 bbl fermenter go down the drain.  The wife has some pictures somewhere...
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline sierranevadapromotion

• 1st Kit
    • Sierra Nevada Beer Camp
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 05:36:23 pm »
By the way…batch sparging is for suckers!

:o :o :o

Buncha suckers here on the forum then I guess, myself included.  This is the kind of comment that gets remembered when I'm deciding which six pack to pick up.

Sorry guys, we didn't mean to offend anyone...A bunch of us read all of the contention here about Batch-sparging vs Fly sparging and just decided to stir some stuff up!

Batch sparging is NOT for suckers...we're just teasing! If it works for you, then by all means go for it.

Cheers!

-Bill
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 05:38:13 pm »
I think maybe we need to read it with a sense of humor, I'm sure it was intended as a joke.  And also remember when picking out your six pack who gave people a free chance to go to beer camp.  Just sayin'. ;)

It's kind of funny to me though, that whoever this is makes very good points in some answers about the difference between home and pro brewing, and then in other questions completely ignores that difference.  For example, the autolysis question - the conditions at the bottom of a giant tank are a lot different than in the bottom of a 5 gallon carboy.

Not the same person responding to all questions? 
Very possible, I have no idea.

There were about 6 of us all sitting around...enjoying our fine product, and answering questions. We tried to scale our answers down to homebrew size, but depending on who took the lead on the question made a difference on how the answers come across.

Cheers!

-Bill

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 05:39:23 pm »
There's a guy on the brewsbros forum who works for SN.  Every time batch sparging is mentioned he posts that batch sparging is for suckers.  I don't think he's ever tried it, though.  I'm guessing this comment was written by the same person.

You are exactly correct. The good Dr. Baugh...AKA Basser, I believe. It was meant as a joke.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 05:44:59 pm »

Buncha suckers here on the forum then I guess, myself included.  This is the kind of comment that gets remembered when I'm deciding which six pack to pick up.

Sorry guys, we didn't mean to offend anyone...A bunch of us read all of the contention here about Batch-sparging vs Fly sparging and just decided to stir some stuff up!

Batch sparging is NOT for suckers...we're just teasing! If it works for you, then by all means go for it.

Cheers!

-Bill

It's cool. No pedantic homebrewers to see here, move along...  ;D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 06:25:55 pm »

Cheers!

-Bill

It's cool Bill.  It was Friday night after a long week and I was irritable when I posted that.  Thanks for the response and the great promotion.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 07:17:05 pm »

Thoughts?
Ron,

Once the fermentation is done they "stabilize" the beer in the fermenters with PVPP and another clarifying agent.  The yeast is then dumped from the bottom.  It is a real sight to see the yeast from an 800 bbl fermenter go down the drain.  The wife has some pictures somewhere...

Man...I would love to take a tour of the brewery someday. Are you going to NHC?

Post the pics if you can find them. Thanks.
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 08:00:29 pm »

Thoughts?
Ron,

We are both going to the SD NHC.  Will look for the pictures from our Beer Camp Adventure in 2009.  We were there for #13, Old Cantankerous.  Super good time with the outstanding people of Sierra Nevada Brewing. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 08:09:49 pm »

Thoughts?
Ron,

We are both going to the SD NHC.  Will look for the pictures from our Beer Camp Adventure in 2009.  We were there for #13, Old Cantankerous.  Super good time with the outstanding people of Sierra Nevada Brewing. 

I hope to tour SN someday soon. I'll look for you at NHC Jeff.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 10:06:12 pm »
I think maybe we need to read it with a sense of humor, I'm sure it was intended as a joke.  And also remember when picking out your six pack who gave people a free chance to go to beer camp.  Just sayin'. ;)

It's kind of funny to me though, that whoever this is makes very good points in some answers about the difference between home and pro brewing, and then in other questions completely ignores that difference.  For example, the autolysis question - the conditions at the bottom of a giant tank are a lot different than in the bottom of a 5 gallon carboy.

Not the same person responding to all questions? 
Very possible, I have no idea.

There were about 6 of us all sitting around...enjoying our fine product, and answering questions. We tried to scale our answers down to homebrew size, but depending on who took the lead on the question made a difference on how the answers come across.

Cheers!

-Bill
Sounds like a good time!  Thanks for the responses, I enjoyed reading them, even the ones where you're wrong. ;) ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline molbasser

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 11:30:12 am »
All good fun people....Just a little inside joke from another forum I belong too.

MolBasser

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2011, 11:52:52 am »
Good to see ya here, basser.  BTW, fly sparging sucks!   ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell