Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spent grain  (Read 9820 times)

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
Re: Spent grain
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 09:23:22 pm »
With regards to the bread. Do you just add the spent grains "as is" or do you have to mash or grind them more?

Also, does the flavor of the grain come through in the bread? If so maybe a pumpernickel with special b would be awesome.
Never trust a skinny chef and never trust a sober brewer.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 10:29:50 pm »
With regards to the bread. Do you just add the spent grains "as is" or do you have to mash or grind them more?

Also, does the flavor of the grain come through in the bread? If so maybe a pumpernickel with special b would be awesome.

We just add them "as is".  I would say the flavor is subtle and more noticeable with specialty grains.  Don't go overboard as the hulls can get to be a bit prickly. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 11:18:25 pm »
There's a dude down the street who has a traveling petting zoo.... so my grain feeds llamas, goats, a few ponies and an ass.

Don't be so hard on yourself Oscar. It's not your fault, pilots are just that way. It's all the responsibility. Like surgeons. ;)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline mxstar21

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 12:15:43 am »
This month in" Brew Your Own" magazine has some recipes for pizza dough, cinnamon rolls, and dog treats.

It's in Zymurgy, actually. This being the AHA forum and all. ;)

I make bread with it, but that only takes up about 2 cups per brewday. The rest gets thrown away or (now) composted.

Haa!   Thanks for correcting me!  It was my first issue of Zymurgy, and I have had a subscription to BYO for awhile.  I am a moron!!!!

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 09:02:40 am »
If you put an add on Craigslist, folks would be happy to take it away for you.  I have buckets from three different local farmers and I rotate who gets the grain.  And, I get free eggs from two of them.........

They tell me that you shouldn't feed chickens more than 25% spent grain though.  I don't know why or even if that's true. 

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 12:18:17 pm »
I've started just spreading it across the lawn.  Throwing it out in wide arcs with my brewing spoon.  It seems to breakdown into the soil pretty quickly, doesn't smell and it's fun to watch the birds and squirrels try to find it all back.

I used to spread it on the veggie garden and then turn it in but I no longer have a garden.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 09:50:37 pm »
Speaking of composting: Is spent grain considered "green" or "brown"?
Never trust a skinny chef and never trust a sober brewer.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 11:26:10 pm »
Speaking of composting: Is spent grain considered "green" or "brown"?

Brown.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 11:30:35 pm »
Are you sure euge?  I thought it was green. :-\
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 11:56:10 pm »
Yeah I'm sure. But for asking's sake why would it be green?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 01:03:22 am »
Isn't it a chlorophyll kinda thing... or lack thereof? 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 01:08:57 am »
Isn't it a chlorophyll kinda thing... or lack thereof? 

Yeah. That's how I understand it. Compost only needs about 10% green. Not sure about wet stuff from the kitchen. That might be green but spent grain is brown. I've composted enough to tell the difference.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 01:22:24 am »
I have yet to use spent grain in my compost blend, but I'm optimistic that a nice blend of grain, kitchen slop, grass clippins and leaves will yield some prime garden food with good texture.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 01:48:28 am »
Yeah I'm sure. But for asking's sake why would it be green?
Because it has nothing to do with chlorophyll.  Greens have high nitrogen content, browns have high carbon content.  We wash a lot of the carbon out as sugars, so it ends up with higher than normal nitrogen content.  So it's green. ;)

Many people mistakenly believe that it is a source of carbon, a “brown” material. Because the carbohydrates in the grain are removed for use in the brewing process, the spent grain has a higher concentration of nitrogen (proteins) than does unprocessed grain.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 03:24:04 am »
Blah. It makes good compost regardless.