Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegging leak or no leak  (Read 2594 times)

Offline dougcogley

• 1st Kit
Kegging leak or no leak
« on: May 22, 2011, 05:41:18 pm »
I have pressured tested 3 kegs after a recent purchase and changing all the gaskets.  They all held pressure and I saw no leaks with san star.  Once I added the beer and set to 30psi and then I disconnected all lines and placed the kegs in the frig at 40degrees.  The next day I wanted to see if it held at 30psi by just hooking gas line, to my surprise on each keg I could hear gas entering the kegs only after 12 hours later. This went on for another day, then I dropped down to 10psi, but the same thing is happening.  I tested the beer and its cabonated to my liking.

Is the gas absorbing into the beer or do I have leak?

Offline dougcogley

• 1st Kit
Re: Kegging leak or no leak
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 07:17:40 pm »
Sorry miss typed...  I tested the beer and its NOT carbonated to my liking.  Should I hear gas entering the kegs every time I hook up the gas?   Do I have leak or is the CO2 being absorbed into the beer?  Sorry for the miss communication.    :-)

narvin

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 08:55:59 pm »
Sorry miss typed...  I tested the beer and its NOT carbonated to my liking.  Should I hear gas entering the kegs every time I hook up the gas?   Do I have leak or is the CO2 being absorbed into the beer?  Sorry for the miss communication.    :-)

How long has it been hooked up for?  It will take a week of being continuously connected to gas to absorb enough CO2 to carbonate it (without shaking or other methods of carbonating faster).  So yes, if you just hook up uncarbonated beer for a few minutes and disconnect the gas, more gas will enter the next time you hook up the gas.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 11:02:05 pm »
Like narvin said, it is probably just the gas being absorbed.  If you don't want to leave the gas connected, set the pressure to the serving pressure and shake it a lot.  Eventually you'll hear the gas stop flowing.  Do that with each keg and you should be fine.

You can crank it to 30 psi and shake and carbonate it faster, but you run the risk of over carbonating which is a pain in the ass to fix quickly.  I don't recommend it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 08:18:17 pm »
What they said.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 01:59:22 pm »
I generally carbonate my kegs without leaving the gas hooked up. It takes a few charges through the out line before the beer is adequately carbonated.  The first time or two the pressure is pretty much used up as the gas dissolves into the beer.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 10:03:47 am »
I also find that this is a good way to determine if you're adequately carbed without having to hook up a tap.  If you put the CO2 line on at serving pressure and it takes gas, it's still carbing.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?