Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thanksgiving is Coming!  (Read 3988 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Thanksgiving is Coming!
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 06:32:27 am »

........watching the wax melt off of Jerry Jones' face.

Nice. I'm surprised the Dallas heat hasn't melted his face like a crayon. Maybe the Botox holds it together.    ;)

Full disclosure - I'm a longtime Cowboy hater.
You're not alone. The best thing about Cowboys games, the grocery stores are near empty for a couple of hours.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 09:07:00 am »
My wife's family has a well established Thanksgiving custom of eating with a group of their family friends so I am off the hook for cooking. Although somehow I volunteered myself to cook Christmas Eve dinner for my in-laws.

I usually buy a turkey the week of Thanksgiving when it is dirt cheap and freeze the meat for lean protein over the winter. I just toss it in the oven with some beer, herbs and vegetables.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 09:36:11 am »

I usually buy a turkey the week of Thanksgiving when it is dirt cheap and freeze the meat for lean protein over the winter. .....

While there is nothing wrong with the cheap turkey (I always buy one and keep it frozen until I smoke it in the summer), if you want to go for the extra "wow" factor, try an organic free range never frozen heirloom turkey.  We bought one a couple of years ago.  The damn thing cost $75 for a 13 lb. bird, but it was night and day better in taste than a Butterball or other commercial brand.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 09:54:24 am »

I usually buy a turkey the week of Thanksgiving when it is dirt cheap and freeze the meat for lean protein over the winter. .....

While there is nothing wrong with the cheap turkey (I always buy one and keep it frozen until I smoke it in the summer), if you want to go for the extra "wow" factor, try an organic free range never frozen heirloom turkey.  We bought one a couple of years ago.  The damn thing cost $75 for a 13 lb. bird, but it was night and day better in taste than a Butterball or other commercial brand.
+1 to free range turkey. Even the breast meat is moist and flavorful. The fatty parts are as succulent and tasty as pork.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 01:47:38 pm »
My wife's family has a well established Thanksgiving custom of eating with a group of their family friends so I am off the hook for cooking. Although somehow I volunteered myself to cook Christmas Eve dinner for my in-laws.

I usually buy a turkey the week of Thanksgiving when it is dirt cheap and freeze the meat for lean protein over the winter. I just toss it in the oven with some beer, herbs and vegetables.

Christmas Eve Dinner was easy when I was growing up.  A pot of Tavern (sloppy joes for you non-NW-Iowa people), a pot of oyster stew, sliced summer sausage, crackers, cheese and all the Christmas goodies you could eat.  Of course we ate it at 1:30 in the morning after Midnight Mass.   

By the time dinner was over we had to put the duck in for Christmas Day Noon.  ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 01:51:14 pm »
Turkey, mushroom stuffing, mashed taters, sweet taters, coleslaw, cranberry sauce, a couple of green veggies TBD, pie, pie , pie and perhaps some pie.  Eiswein, sauterne, cappuccino, beer, wine, beer, did I say beer?  Oh and bourbon.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline AnimALE

• Cellarman
  • Beer i go again on my own
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 05:42:51 pm »
Hey guys,

Thanksgiving is almost here, and my wife and I are hosting for the first time. We are gonna have 14 people in our house, and its gonna be fun. I am making the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce and some brussels sprouts. I might end up making an apple pie. My wife is making the stuffing. What crazy concoctions are you planning for your holiday?
Its funny my TG menu is almost identical to yours except pumpkin puie