Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Universal Studios Orlando - Beer Hell!!!  (Read 5638 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Universal Studios Orlando - Beer Hell!!!
« on: May 31, 2011, 09:24:39 am »
I just got back from Universal Studios Orlando and the first thing I did was get a beer from the kegerator.

Talk about a craft beer lovers hell!  The best I could find was a Newcastle on draft at the Hard Rock Cafe.  Margarittaville had Landshark Lager which wasn't too bad but I'm not running out to the store to get it.

We didn't have a car and stayed at one of the onsite hotels.  I got a little excited when I say a street cart in one of the parks that had "Beer" on the awning only to find out that it was Bud or Bud lite.  I did have a Hogsmeade Ale at the Harry Potter park...again not the best but better than nothing.

Hopefully these parks will realize that after a full day in the heat with screaming kids and rude people, that we craft beer lovers would like some options.

Fun time with the family though.  Glad we went.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: Universal Studios Orlando - Beer Hell!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 03:10:54 pm »
I was there a few years ago. Sounds like it's gotten a little better since my trip.  ::)
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Hooch

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 03:39:30 pm »
Bummer.  I was there in February, and Lombard's Seafood Grille had Sam Adams.  Sorry to hear your findings came up short.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemmingway

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:03:20 pm »
On days like this one reverts to Pepe Lopez.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 11:35:47 am »
I just got back from Universal Studios Orlando and the first thing I did was get a beer from the kegerator.
Talk about a craft beer lovers hell!  The best I could find was a Newcastle on draft at the Hard Rock Cafe.  Margarittaville had Landshark Lager which wasn't too bad but I'm not running out to the store to get it.

We need a Sam Adams theme park.  You ride the Battle of Bunker Hill roller coaster, a wooden rackety coater with musket fire, smoke and cannons blasting. Then you get on the log flume ride. Sam Adams narrates, taking you through the Boston Tea Party raid weaving in between the tea ships in Boston Harbor splashing into the water a bit as the tea chests are tossed off the deck by native Algonquin dressed actors. All followed by the ultimate beer garden. There you watch an automated Jim Kock reenact the creation of his ancestor's beer recipe, while you down tankards (made of pewter by an automated Paul Revere) of Boston Ale.   Now that's a good time!
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 11:45:04 am »
Sorry DarkSide, this here is Bud country...sad to say.  Whenever I visit some places out west I am amazed (and pleased) that there really ARE a lot of people who drink craft beer.  Here we got a ton of rednecks, old-as-dirt-retirees, and tourists...and I imagine the profit isn't as high with craft beers so the tourists kind of get screwed.

Redlight, Redlight had 'Sour Day' on Sunday which was fun but it would have been a trip for you and not a place for kids.  Every tap in the place (and that's a lot) was a sour of some sort.

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 12:05:13 pm »
Sorry DarkSide, this here is Bud country...sad to say.  Whenever I visit some places out west I am amazed (and pleased) that there really ARE a lot of people who drink craft beer.  Here we got a ton of rednecks, old-as-dirt-retirees, and tourists...and I imagine the profit isn't as high with craft beers so the tourists kind of get screwed.

Redlight, Redlight had 'Sour Day' on Sunday which was fun but it would have been a trip for you and not a place for kids.  Every tap in the place (and that's a lot) was a sour of some sort.

It's great how popular craft brews are becoming.  My company had a picnic last week and provided a bunch of kegs. It was all local micro-brew.  Imagine my suprise (and delight) when I found a Belgian Double and a Kolsch, among others. In fact, the Belgian Double was the first keg finished, even before the basic pale ale. People are finally realizing that beer can taste good!

On a side note, I went to Seattle two weeks ago and found a place called the "Tap House Grill", an ultimate beer heaven with 160 beers on tap.   :o  Made it through samples of 12....  Only 148 to go!!!! ;D
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 12:06:00 pm »
Every tap in the place (and that's a lot) was a sour of some sort.
On purpose I hope  :D

At least I know when I go to Disney, I can get Spaten Optimator in Germany at the World Showcase.
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 12:06:44 pm »
On a side note, I went to Seattle two weeks ago and found a place called the "Tap House Grill", an ultimate beer heaven with 160 beers on tap.   :o  Made it through samples of 12....  Only 148 to go!!!! ;D

Maybe I can check this place out next June  ;)
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 12:28:43 pm »
Every tap in the place (and that's a lot) was a sour of some sort.
On purpose I hope  :D

At least I know when I go to Disney, I can get Spaten Optimator in Germany at the World Showcase.
Ha, yeah, on purpose but I kept wondering; "Surley they did this the day before a planned, extensive line cleaning/replacement didn't they?"

I'll be back tonight for a meeting so I could just ask.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 02:27:53 pm »
My wife is a Disney fanatic, and while we grew up with the anaheim park, someday we're going to go to Disney World, and I've stated up front that they should drop me off at EPCOT around noon, and I will then proceed to drink myself round the world.  Seriously, the world showcase looks like it has some great food and drink!  They even have akvavit in their pseudo-Norway!

I'll just have to empty my 401K to fund the pub crawl, probably!  :D

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 02:29:55 pm »
There's a great tradition in Orlando for doing just that. Lots of people with passes go and have a goofy time "drinking around the world"
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 02:44:39 pm »
I like EPCOT.  The English Pub there is nice, (Rose and Crown?) Germany's got a few good beers, plus there's a nice brewpub called Big River at Boardwalk that has pretty good beers.  It's part of the Gordon Biersch chain.  If you stay "on campus" you can take a free boat taxi from your hotel to the pub and/or EPCOT.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 03:25:34 pm »
Good times drinking around the world.  I was really disappointed with the beer in Germany and said something to the kid serving there, considering all of the awesome choices they could have had.  It think it was St. Pauli Girl, Bitburger, or some other mass produced light lager, I can't remember.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 03:46:22 pm »
It think it was St. Pauli Girl, Bitburger, or some other mass produced light lager, I can't remember.

Bitburger can be good. St. Pauli Girl not so good. I can't imagine that there's much of a market for big, chewy beers at a theme park in Florida, though. You were at least lucky in that there was German-themed beer, as opposed to the usual manifestations of fizzy yellow swill.