Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cooler woes.  (Read 5212 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Cooler woes.
« on: December 27, 2009, 11:16:19 am »
Last year I upgraded to a Coleman Extreme 70qt for my batch-sparge setup.

This cooler will keep stuff frozen for days on end. However at mash temps it loses about up to 5 degrees over 90 minutes. I noticed this after the initial couple of batches and attributed it to thermal absorption even though I pre-heat my tun.

Now I'm not so sure. Maybe I'm losing some heat around the lid somehow? Anyone got any ideas?

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: Cooler woes.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 06:20:57 pm »
Hi euge,

I have the same cooler and rarely lose 2 degrees in 90 minutes.  Couple thoughts.  Make sure you stir up the mash thoroughly.  Cover the cooler with towels, blanket, sleeping bag or something to help insulate it. Don't open it again until you're pouring the vorlouf back in.  Maybe others will have more ideas...
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 05:08:13 am »
+1 on covering it with towls.  I had a heat loss problem during the winter months until I used the towls.

Offline slimsparty

• Assistant Brewer
  • 1882 Brewery
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 10:09:03 am »
+1 on towels, etc.

Another guy I talk with has fitted the inside of the cooler with some solid styrofoam to increase the insulation.  I worry about that becoming another source for mold/etc.

My Cube 60Qt held to about 1 degree on a 90 minute mash in 30 degree weather, I am good with that.

Offline slimsparty

• Assistant Brewer
  • 1882 Brewery
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 10:11:45 am »
I forgot to ask-Is the cooler blue?  Red and Silver coolers are inferrior.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 11:39:25 am »
You've learned well, Slim!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 11:50:15 am »
I'll probably look at the lid. Bet it isn't insulated. Blankets or towels hmmm....

Thanks guys.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 03:09:40 pm »
damn......  i just got two new red rubbermaid coolers.....  really they are orange...  can i make good beer in an orange rubbermaid?
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 03:13:59 pm »
damn......  i just got two new red rubbermaid coolers.....  really they are orange...  can i make good beer in an orange rubbermaid?
Nope, you should just mail them to me, & buy yourself new blue ones ;D
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 07:48:42 am »
I'll probably look at the lid. Bet it isn't insulated. Blankets or towels hmmm....
I'm not sure about the cooler you have, but many coolers have no insulation in the lid.  This is easily addressed by drilling a few small holes in the lid and filling it with expanding foam insulation from a can.  It's sold under the brand name "Great Stuff."  I used it to fill the lid of my 60-qt Igloo, and it helped.  I still cover & wrap the mash tun with a couple blankets when the weather is cold, though.  I'm brewing outside tomorrow, and the forecast is for a high of 22F.   
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline slimsparty

• Assistant Brewer
  • 1882 Brewery
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 09:27:14 am »
That is a real good point.  I'm pretty sure my Ice Cube Lid is just relying on "dead air" and is hollow too.

I think the weekend is not looking good for brewing now...

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 09:34:26 am »
Folks, I'm afraid to tell you that you are delusional if you think the red or blue or purple or any color cooler for that matter has anything to do with the thermal capability of a given cooler.  :-\

But it's the group power of positive thinking that actually allows for the increased thermal capacity of the blue cooler.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 09:57:30 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 09:42:37 am »
I forgot to ask-Is the cooler blue?  Red and Silver coolers are inferrior.
I am doomed in my better beer quest.
I have an orange cooler :(
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 10:27:07 am »
I'll probably look at the lid. Bet it isn't insulated.

Part of what makes the Xtreme line of coolers "Xtreme" is insulation in the lid so that's probably not it.  Although additional insulation in the form of blankets/towels certainly won't hurt.
Joe

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 10:57:10 am »

Thanks guys.
I'm sure the lid is insulated.  When I uncover mine the outside surface of the lid is room temp. If it wasn't insulated I'm sure it would be much warmer...
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!