Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: grain bill for imperial IPA  (Read 10100 times)

Offline adama

• 1st Kit
grain bill for imperial IPA
« on: June 24, 2011, 11:29:51 am »
so...I want to attempt my first imperial IPA. The thing is, I don't care for the overly sweet character some beers of this style have. Want to go for a low temp mash to aid in attenuation, but dont want to end up with a watery beer. My thought was to go ahead with the low temp mash and just add a bit of carapils to throw a bit more dextrins into the mix. so basically the idea is to go with a pale malt base with a bit of crystal for color/flavor, and carapils to make up for lost body. How does this sound? Any input would be much appreciated! Thank you

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: grain bill for imperial IPA
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 11:35:41 am »
IMO, an IIPA needs to have some sugar in it to dry it out.  To me, that's what differentiates it from an AM. BW.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline adama

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:42:44 am »
would the sugar not also lighten the body as well though?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 11:44:59 am »
would the sugar not also lighten the body as well though?

Yeah, as it should.  I wouldn't use the carapils at all.  Keep in mind that an all grain beer at that OG is gonna be pretty thick.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 11:47:03 am »
Also, if you are trying to minimize the sweet character then I would minimize the crystal too.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline adama

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 11:51:15 am »
what if i cut out the crystal all together and go with an all pale malt bill with the addition of some amber beet syrup?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 11:57:08 am »
I wouldn't eliminate it entirely, you get flavors from the crystal besides just sweetness.  I keep the crystal malts to about 5% of the grist, and use about 7% sugar for my IIPA.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 12:00:23 pm »
I wouldn't eliminate it entirely, you get flavors from the crystal besides just sweetness.  I keep the crystal malts to about 5% of the grist, and use about 7% sugar for my IIPA.

I'm darn close to those amounts, too.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline adama

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 12:06:09 pm »
thanks for the info guys, I'll give it a try

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 11:49:47 pm »
I disagree about the need for sugar. I like 98-100% domestic 2-row and 0-2% of whatever specialty malt you like (I like British 65L crystal). I mash at 148-149 for 60 min with no mashout, then I boil for 90 min to get it at the color I like, and I use a huge amount of WLP001 or Pacman or some other very dry American yeast. Always gets it to the 1.010-1.014 range where I like them.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 06:36:39 am »
Throwing my hat in with Denny et al. Sugar is essential for a proper IIPA. I use about 10% in mine and about 5% crystal. You want to dry the beer out and thin the body out with the sugar but you need a small amount of crystal sweetness to balance the hops. I don't enjoy these thick, caramelly IIPAs. A IIPA should be so good that once you drink one you immediately want another.

ccarlson

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 06:59:36 am »
I disagree about the need for sugar. I like 98-100% domestic 2-row and 0-2% of whatever specialty malt you like (I like British 65L crystal). I mash at 148-149 for 60 min with no mashout, then I boil for 90 min to get it at the color I like, and I use a huge amount of WLP001 or Pacman or some other very dry American yeast. Always gets it to the 1.010-1.014 range where I like them.

I agree. With a long mash and at the proper temperature, you don't have to use sugar.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 09:37:08 am »

I agree. With a long mash and at the proper temperature, you don't have to use sugar.

No, you don't have to.  But my experience is that it makes a better (and more to style, if you care about that) beer.  without the sugar, my IIPAs end up more like Am. BW.

www.dennybrew.com

ccarlson

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 09:52:46 am »

No, you don't have to.  But my experience is that it makes a better (and more to style, if you care about that) beer.  without the sugar, my IIPAs end up more like Am. BW.

I hear you and I've had some turn out that way, but try mashing long and low sometime and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm not a BW fan and this procedure has worked well for me.

Nothing wrong with using sugar, I just enjoy the challenge of doing it without.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 10:28:22 am »
I hear you and I've had some turn out that way, but try mashing long and low sometime and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm not a BW fan and this procedure has worked well for me.

Nothing wrong with using sugar, I just enjoy the challenge of doing it without.

I've done a 2 hour mash at 147 and I didn't think the results were as good as when I used sugar.  The long low mash lessened the body somewhat, but it still tasted too thick (yeah, I know...how can taste be thick?).

www.dennybrew.com