Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: whirlpooling the boil kettle  (Read 1900 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: whirlpooling the boil kettle
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2020, 05:51:48 am »
I use a SS screen filter in my BK attached to my pickup tube. I also have an inline filter downstream of the chiller. I too use riptide pumps to generate the whirlpool effect. My process is to whirlpool for 15-20 minutes then let it settle for another 15-20 minutes. Using two filters definitely helps with obtaining clear wort and I probably don't need to even whirlpool but I do. Try incorporating a filter somewhere in your BK or downstream.
So, my problem is similar but different.
I ALWAYS use fine mesh Hop Bags & NEVER see Hop debris in my boil or fermenter.
My problem has to do with Hot & Cold Break ending up in the Fermenter.
I Whirlpool & Chill at the same time. I pull off the bottom of the Kettle, circ with a Chugger pump, through an Immersion Coil in a tub of city water temp & return through a dip tube to create the Whirlpool while chilling to 60.
The problem has to do with stirring up the Break in very fine particles. When I reach Pitch Temp I pump off the bottom of the Kettle into the Fermenter.
After it sits about 15 min the particles settle to the bottom of the Fermenter. The problem is the solids take up approximately 1/2 Gallon worth of Wort. (can't figure out how to include pic)
 I have to be very careful when moving from Primary to Secondary.
Reading above it looks like I should let it sit in the Kettle for 15 or so min before pumping into the Fermenter. I'm thinking I should throttle the pump output to reduce the stirring. Perhaps I should look into an SS strainer on the kettle outlet.

If you're interested, these are the two filters I use. In the BK I use The Hop Stopper from the Electric Brewery and down stream before my plate chiller I use the Bouncer Pro. The bouncer pro has TC fittings if that is what your system incorporates and then they have the bouncer with barbed fittings