Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pumpkin beer  (Read 7613 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Pumpkin beer
« on: June 29, 2011, 07:50:58 am »
I checked the recipe wiki first and didn't find much so I'm going to ask.  Does anyone have a pumpkin beer recipe?  I'm looking for something that I can brew soon to store for fall.  If you have a fall pumpkin recipe, can you please post it?
Thanks

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Pumpkin beer
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 08:00:37 am »
During one of the Brewing Network Can You Brew It shows, a listener sent in a clone attemp of Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin Ale.  I've never tried it but they made it sound really good.  He double baked the pumpkin.  I'm going to go back and listen again but maybe some of the PNW forum members can comment on this beer.

Here's the link to the show.  It is after the Mirror Pond and Fish Alt rebrew segments.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/627
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 09:04:21 am »
I'll dig one out.  I made one a couple years ago and really liked it.  Let me look at home tonight.

The interesting thing about my recipe is that the pumpkin was used in the boil, not the mash.  I used the unflavored Libby's pumpkin puree and roasted it in the oven for a long time.  Great color and flavor, but a mess in the carboy.  I need a better method for separating it.  Uses pumpkin pie spices.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 09:14:40 am »
I have a few different recipes from an old issue of BYO.  I'll try to remember to dig them out tonight.

FYI - if you go the canned route, you might have a hard time finding canned pumpkin when it's not Halloween/Thanksgiving.  I had a heck of a time finding it last year when I wanted to brew it a few months early.  I tried to have the local health food store order a case for me and they couldn't get it.  It was like there was a run on canned pumpkin...

Gordon - do you add the spices in the boil?  Or do you add them after fermentation?  I've done both, and can't seem to decide which I prefer.  I think I prefer the boil, just out of sheer laziness.  But I go back and forth.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 09:21:19 am »
Gordon - do you add the spices in the boil?  Or do you add them after fermentation?  I've done both, and can't seem to decide which I prefer.  I think I prefer the boil, just out of sheer laziness.  But I go back and forth.

I do both.  I put some in the boil then make an extract ( vodka and spices ) and dose at kegging.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 09:26:09 am »
See p. 202.

You can add them to the boil, but you have to be pretty confident in the levels since you won't be able to remove the spice.  I tend to add them at knockout and let them steep for 5 minutes, then remove.  More often, I make a tea out of them using boiling water poured over spices, letting them steep for 5 minutes, then straining.  Then blend that to taste post-fermentation.  I never use raw spices in the secondary; I hate the taste.

Yes, finding pumpkin in cans is hard out of season.  You can make your own by roasting your own pumpkins but be sure to use the right ones.  Use sugar/pie pumpkins.  Cut in half, scoop out guts, roast on baking sheet at 350F for an hour, let cool, scoop out flesh.  Pretty much how you treat any squash.  My CSA box had pumpkins in it starting in July last year.  I used them in a saag recipe, but I might save them for beer if the same happens this year.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 09:28:18 am »

I do both.  I put some in the boil then make an extract ( vodka and spices ) and dose at kegging.

I sometimes do this, but tend to go a touch light in the boil so I don't go over in the balance.  I prefer teas to tinctures because I like the flavor of cooked spices better than raw spices.  Oh, and go easy on the clove.  It might be right in pumpkin pie, but your brain tells you that the beer is off.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 09:35:47 am »
Thanks.  I look forward to seeing the recipes.  If I can't find pumpkin, I may substitute squash (I've used it in pies before and you really can't tell the difference).  Personally, spiced beers are one of my least favourite styles but I had a request for some so I'm taking a shot at it.
As more people try my beer and find out it doesn't taste like they expect homebrew to taste, I seem to be getting more requests.  Most of them I ignore but for a few good friends I'll give it a try.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 09:48:47 am »
Just watch out if they show up with growlers when you aren't home...

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 09:54:42 am »
I prefer teas to tinctures because I like the flavor of cooked spices better than raw spices.

I hadn't thought of the cooked vs. raw.  I'm not happy with the flavors I've gotten from the vodka tincture method.  They seem harsh, without being overspiced, if that makes sense.  Spices in the brew pot seem to be more mellow.  I'll try the spice tea next time.

I tend to go heavy on the cinnamon for my pumpkin and up the cloves and allspice for my Christmas ale.

Years ago, I made a beer using yams instead of pumpkin.  This can work when no pumpkins are available.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:56:36 am by Joe Dunne »
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 10:09:19 am »
My favorite pumpkin beer (and failed reproduction last autumn) was Post Road by Brooklyn Brewery. That is, until I tried Pumpking. If any of you can get me a good pumpking clone recipe I will send you something very very nice and barrel aged.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 10:19:23 am »
I hadn't thought of the cooked vs. raw.  I'm not happy with the flavors I've gotten from the vodka tincture method.  They seem harsh, without being overspiced, if that makes sense.  Spices in the brew pot seem to be more mellow.  I'll try the spice tea next time.

Try making an Indian recipe two ways.  First one, cook the spices in oil before adding other ingredients.  Second one, reserve the spices and add them to the finished dish at the table.  See which one you like the best.  That's basically what I was thinking when coming up with the initial method.  Same with the cold steep of dark grains.  I like it best when it sees a little heat.  But it's a personal preference thing.  Try it different ways and see which you like.  Just be alerted to how the flavors can change depending on how the ingredients are handled.  I think that's the point most people tend to miss.

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 10:24:16 am »
You can use sweet potatoe as pumkin there similar in color and taste
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline andrew

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lake Charles / Sweet Lake, LA
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 11:42:36 am »
Amt   Name                                                   Type   #   %/IBU
10 lbs   Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)     Grain   2   83.0 %
1 lbs   Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)   Grain   3   8.3 %
12.0 oz   Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM)                   Grain   4   6.2 %
0.50 oz   Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 75.0 min   Hop   7   21.7 IBUs
0.25 oz   Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min   Hop   8   6.1 IBUs
0.25 oz   Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min   Hop   11   1.6 IBUs
0.25 oz   Pearle [8.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min                   Hop   12   1.3 IBUs
0.25 tsp   all spice (Boil 5.0 mins)                   Spice   17   -
0.50 tsp   ginger - dried/ground (Boil 5.0 mins)   Spice   15   -
0.50 tsp   nutmeg (Boil 5.0 mins)                   Spice   16   -
1.00 tsp   cinnamon - ground (Boil 5.0 mins)   Spice   13   -
1.00 tsp   vanilla (Boil 5.0 mins)                                   Spice   14   -
8.30 oz   Pumpkin Seeds (Mash 60.0 mins)   Other   5   -
10.00 lb   Pumpkin (Boil 30.0 mins)                   Other   9   -
4.8 oz   Cane Sugar (0.0 SRM)                   Sugar   6   2.5 %
1.0 pkg   British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098)    Yeast   18   -

I borrowed Charlie P's recipe from his blog a few years ago and have been slightly modifing it every year. I made this last year and entered it into a comp where it got a 42. Will tinker a little more with it in the fall somewhat in the direction of the comp comments.

Mashed at 154F with the pumkin seeds. Washed the seeds and roasted at 350F until toasted and golden brown. Used pie pumpkins chopped into cubes then coated in sugar then caramelized in the oven at 350F. Kind of messy in the transfer. I normally use a plate chiller, but I was afraid I would clog it so I used an immersion chiller instead. 6 gallons final volume in the fermenter, but probably had between 5 to 5.5 gallons bottled due to pulp.

OG 1061 FG 1015.
Andrew Tingler

In bottles or on tap: porter, quad, and wit
Secondary: empty
Primary: empty
On Deck: Blackberry Stout and Irish Red

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 11:51:08 am »
Elysian does a lot of pumpkin beers.  Night Owl is good, but the Great Pumpkin is awesome.  All of my favorite pumpkin beers are imperial versions.
Tom Schmidlin