Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Poured out that old Belgian  (Read 11409 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Poured out that old Belgian
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 02:07:32 pm »
I have learned reading and doing that GS is on. W3787 is my fave, but that likes to be warm.

What temp do you mean by "warm"?  I typically run it 62-65 and it works great.  After a week or so I let it start rising to maybe 68-70 to finish.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 03:15:37 pm »
I think finishing warm is very important.  I've done them in the past where they don't get much above 65 (ambient basement, dead of winter) and they didn't have enough "Belgian character." 

It was disappointing, but not as bad as the skull crusher fusels I had in another batch that went way too hot.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

narvin

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 03:22:31 pm »
Agree with Gordon here.  Make it dry, and no banana.  I'm not a fan of the bubblegum fruit/phenol explosion that a lot of American versions have either.

Although, I buy MFB Pils just because I can get it for so much cheaper than Dingemans, and I'm quite pleased with it.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 05:27:44 pm »
I have learned reading and doing that GS is on. W3787 is my fave, but that likes to be warm.

What temp do you mean by "warm"?  I typically run it 62-65 and it works great.  After a week or so I let it start rising to maybe 68-70 to finish.

I have been higher than that......68-ish in the fermenter.....up a degree every day, starting the third or fourth day (when the kraeusen  subsides) to 74......Happy with the results, but I'll give your numbers a try on a batch to see if I like it better.)
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 05:55:56 pm »
I agree with pretty much everything said... I start mine out around 60-65 for a couple days then start ramping up and eventually pull it out of the fermenter and bring it to a relatively warm spot in the house... I've gone all the way up to 80F to finish. They turn out good. I also think that a dubbel is not something that should be around for 3+yrs...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 07:50:09 pm »
...I also think that a dubbel is not something that should be around for 3+yrs... 

I agree. At about 1.5 years it was quite good but that window closed rapidly. There's only one 12oz bottle left. And that has a crown cap.

So now to racking. Is a Belgian style better in the bottle or on tap? And should the bottles be the traditional corked types we normally see or are crown caps sufficient?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 07:52:53 pm »
I cork and cage the traditional bottles just for fun and the presentation factor.  I don't keg because its not a beer I want a lot of at a time, and I don't want to tie up a keg for months.  Thats reserved for lagers.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 08:45:14 pm »
Keg...drink....yummy. More.

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 05:53:01 am »
For more on fermenting temps and desired profiles for various yeasts check out this pdf from whitelabs.com

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/belgianchart.pdf

I wish there were something like this for other yeasts!!!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:02:55 am by troy@uk »
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 06:08:51 am »
The last Quad I did I followed a temp schedule recommended by someone who had successfully brewed Westy/Sint Bernardus clones.  Start at ~64* F and let free rise to ~82* F or so.  I feared fusels, banana, bubblegum, etc. but I went with it (but only reached 76* F) and it is probably the cleanest big Belgian I've ever made (but just going from a sample at racking).  Surprisingly not hot and no noticable fusels.  I've gotten fusels keeping it below 68* F for the entire ferment.  This was 3787.

Some Belgian yeasts seem to be more finicky/difficult to get right.  I've not had much luck with Chimay yeast and much better luck with 3787.  The others I've only used once or twice but I did like the Rochefort yeast (WLP540/WY1762).

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 07:21:43 am »
Thats good to hear.  I've pretty much got a phobia about fermenting above 70F and I've seen instances where its turned out just fine.  Maybe I should reset my phobia to 75F and exclude day 5+.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 10:53:38 am »
For more on fermenting temps and desired profiles for various yeasts check out this pdf from whitelabs.com

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/belgianchart.pdf

I wish there were something like this for other yeasts!!!

Brew Like a Monk has a similar chart for Wyeast's Belgian strains. One for other yeasts would be nice though, wouldn't it?
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline rightasrain

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2011, 08:12:42 pm »
Those are great, but I've found that I like the syrups from candisugar.com even better.  I'll be using their Simplicity (clear) syrup tomorrow for a tripel.  But whichever you use, you'll make a great Belgian style beer with them.

That is so cool they ship the sugar in reusable water bottles. It makes me just want to go hug a tree.
"Rogues are willing to shun titles and personal financial success in the  pursuit of the greater good.
Rogues pursue the long shot.
Rogues have respect for diversity.
Rogues work hard.
Rogues are driven to succeed in their chosen field.
Rogues are honest with themselves and others.
Rogues are rebels."
- www.rogue.com

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 08:18:13 am »
3787 rocks.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2011, 07:19:14 pm »
Those are great, but I've found that I like the syrups from candisugar.com even better.  I'll be using their Simplicity (clear) syrup tomorrow for a tripel.  But whichever you use, you'll make a great Belgian style beer with them.

I picked up a pouch of the D180 to put in the quad I made last Saturday . . Good stuff! I think I'd even prefer it to Hershey's over my ice cream!
Just brew it...