Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast for a Biere de Garde?  (Read 1823 times)

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
Yeast for a Biere de Garde?
« on: August 03, 2011, 09:19:19 am »
I'm planning on brewing a Biere de Garde tomorrow.  I had planned to use White Labs' 011 European Ale.  I made up a 2 qt. starter yesterday and pitched the yeast at about 7 last night.  As of 10 this morning - nada.  So, I'm thinking I have a $6 vial of dead yeast.  Anyway, I don't want to lose my brew day tomorrow - around here getting them is too hard!  What's a good dry yeast to use in a pinch?  S-05?  Nottingham?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Yeast for a Biere de Garde?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 09:47:00 am »
I think you're being too impatient.  Give it another day.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 04:12:37 pm »
US-05 would be your best bet for dry yeast IMO. Definitely not nottingham. That said, I'd give it until tomorrow and see what your liquid yeast has done.

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 04:24:02 pm »
US-05 would be your best bet for dry yeast IMO. Definitely not nottingham. That said, I'd give it until tomorrow and see what your liquid yeast has done.
Thanks major - that's what I was thinking.  You and Denny are probably right.  It looked like it might be ticking a little when I checked it - just being pokey.  Think I'll dough-in in the morning and run to the store if need be.  Have to brew tomorrow or I won't for weeks!

Thanks for the advice guys!