Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What steps would you have to take to form your own homebrew club?  (Read 10621 times)

Offline roguenationpatriot

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrewing Adventures With Nick Filipow
What steps would you have to take to form your own Homebrew Club?  I'm in central Ohio and I was just curious what kind of a process would go into forming your own Homebrewing Club.
Be sure to check out my Blog and website at
http://homebrewblog.webs.com/
http://nickfilipow.blogspot.com/

On Tap
HomeBrews
Oaked Barrel Aged Russian Imp. Stout
English Mild
Welsh's Juice Concentrate Wine
Infused Garlic Ginger Vodka
Infused Vanillia Coffee Bean Vodka

Commercial Favorites
Weasel Boy Russian Imperial Stout
21st Amendment Back In Black
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Troeg's Dreamweaver

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
Re: What steps would you have to take to form your own homebrew club?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 01:22:01 am »
a club shouldn't cost money to join. it should be a group of people who want to trade information and talk
about brewing. though this stems from a southern california home brewer who has to drive 45 minutes into the valley for a nice brew shop experience as opposed to driving 10 minutes to a place where you don't even get a hello when walking through the door. why should we pay slightly less for ingredients we're going to buy anyway?  a discount is no reason to "join" a club.
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 06:29:48 am »
First step would be finding a few nearby homebrewers who are also interested in forming a club. A local homebrew shop is also a good place to start. Have a few informal meetings and talk about what you want the club to do.  Then contact the AHA for some resources and go from there.

I'm not sure sparkleberry has the same idea of a club as me. Many clubs have dues and I'm sure most don't offer discounts on ingredients. But they probably hold events (BBQ's, contests, etc) that cost money.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 07:13:54 am »
Here's a guide from the AHA on starting a homebrew club.

http://ahaclubs.homebrewersassociation.org/StartingAndRunningANewHomebrewClub

Good Luck!
Ron Price

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 10:54:55 am »
i guess my idea of a club was a bit smaller.  i was thinking more of a low key group of brewers.  i've done a little research and see that with the dues various clubs allow access to bigger brewing gear, functions and other fun.  i don't think i actually realized all the benefits to be had.  anyway, sorry my previous post wasn't really one that gave any solid steps. 

cheers.

rpl
apertureales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 02:59:55 pm »
Thanks for the comments I'm in one homebrew club, but I moved an hour and a half away.  Also, the one in my area doesn't run year round, so I might see if can generate a some interest here in central Ohio. 

On Tap
HomeBrews
English Mild

Commercial Favorites
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Troeg's Dreamweaver

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 07:05:06 pm »
Just curious, where in Ohio?  If you want to talk about clubs, you ought to come to Beer & Sweat next weekend.  OK, it's just over the border in Kentucky, but you'll meet a lot of people from Ohio.  Last year they had over 250 kegs, I think.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 10:53:26 am »
Just curious, where in Ohio?  If you want to talk about clubs, you ought to come to Beer & Sweat next weekend.  OK, it's just over the border in Kentucky, but you'll meet a lot of people from Ohio.  Last year they had over 250 kegs, I think.

Hey Gordon,

I'm in central Ohio (Grandview Height/ Columbus Area), I've heard positive reviews of the Beer & Sweat Fest from friends that live in that area.  I'll have to try to make it down there. I'm actually glad I got a post form you, because I've been looking into a BJCP license.  I got to be a judge recently and would like to be certified to do i more often.  I've seen you help handle certain events and tasting, are there any classes or tastings that would be good practice for the test?

On Tap
HomeBrews
English Mild

Commercial Favorites
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Troeg's Dreamweaver

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 08:29:52 am »
You should look into the SODZ club in Columbus.  I went to a meeting of theirs in May and they had around 80 people.  They do judging classes from time to time.  I think they have at least a half dozen National judges and a Master judge in their club.  I've gone to a few of their meetings and people are making good beer there too.  Frank Barickman is the go-to BJCP guy in the club.

It's OK to be affiliated with several clubs too.  People use clubs for different reasons.  Sometimes it's just to find people who live near you and want to brew together.  Depending on your experience and goals, you'll interact with the people differently.  The best clubs are those that not only have people who are looking for answers, but those who know what they're talking about and are willing to provide answers.

I'm a friend of SODZ and will probably be at their October camp-out.  I'm also a friend of the Bloatarian Brewing League and will be having a good time next weekend at Beer & Sweat.  Probably for the 15th year or so.  Come hang out.  If you're looking for something different, you can always do something formally or semi-formally with a group that has different goals.  But different groups almost always will be cooperative (even if in a competitive way), so don't let that bother you.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 07:12:09 pm »
You should look into the SODZ club in Columbus.  I went to a meeting of theirs in May and they had around 80 people.  They do judging classes from time to time.  I think they have at least a half dozen National judges and a Master judge in their club.  I've gone to a few of their meetings and people are making good beer there too.  Frank Barickman is the go-to BJCP guy in the club.

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice, I looked into SODZ for a while.  I was planning on going to a few meetings at SODZ, but I think they take a hiatus during the summer months.  I believe they begin meeting in September again, so I plan to start going once they are back to having their monthly get togethers.  Hopefully, I can get the ball rollling on the BJCP training here in the near future.  Still trying to get an idea of how to study for the tasting potion, but I'm guessing the people at SODZ will have a few study tips as well. 

Thanks again,
         Nick Filipow

On Tap
HomeBrews
English Mild

Commercial Favorites
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Troeg's Dreamweaver

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 06:44:51 am »
OK, didn't know they took summer off.  I see many of them because of all the summer judging.  Seems like I've been judging 2 weeks out of 3 all summer.

Best way to study for the tasting portion is get out there and judge in competitions with other BJCP judges.  Tell them you're new and want to learn.  Most good judges will jump at the chance to give you some direct instruction.  Second best way is to do structured tastings with BJCP judges, some of which you can find at club meetings.

The hardest part about starting to judge is learning how to assign scores.  That comes with practice and calibration with other judges.  The second hardest part is learning what things you've only read about actually taste like.  So if you're at a competition, let people know you're new and ask them to give you any beers with classic faults so you can have a sensory memory of them.  You can learn how to describe beer from reading.  Those other things take practice and experience.  Go out and get them.

Come introduce yourself sometime.  I'll be the guy selling books  ;)

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 11:13:58 am »
       I actually did get to do that for the Ohio Brew Week Judging. I got to sit with a BJCP judge (Mike Yingling), and had him help give me pointers on what to look for and how to score.  I ended coming up with scoresheets that had  flavors and scores consistant with him and the rest of the group.  So, that was definitely helpful, and then they let me help judge the category best of show.  I've begun scoring and tasting scoresheets for my own brews for extra practice.  Anyway, I'm going to keep at it, and see about about getting certified once I feel I'm ready for the exam.  By the way, is there a website that lists all the BJCP competitions nearby that you can judging practice.

P.S.   I'll keep an eye out for you selling books at competitions, and be sure to introduce myself if I find you.   

On Tap
HomeBrews
English Mild

Commercial Favorites
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Troeg's Dreamweaver

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 11:17:00 am »
  By the way, is there a website that lists all the BJCP competitions nearby that you can judging practice.

Yeah, it's the BJCP website...  Look at the competition calendar.  The AHA site lists it too.  You have to figure out which ones are close to you, though.

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 09:04:24 am »
  By the way, is there a website that lists all the BJCP competitions nearby that you can judging practice.

Yeah, it's the BJCP website...  Look at the competition calendar.  The AHA site lists it too.  You have to figure out which ones are close to you, though.

I'll definately check it out. I want to go to every judging competition, but thats sometimes easier said than done.  Anyway, I might hit you up for certification questions from time to time as I go through the studying process if you don't mind.  Once again thanks for all the advice.

P.S. I look forward to getting a chance to read your book, hopefully I can find you at one of the events to buy it in person.

On Tap
HomeBrews
English Mild

Commercial Favorites
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Troeg's Dreamweaver

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 06:59:10 pm »
P.S. I look forward to getting a chance to read your book, hopefully I can find you at one of the events to buy it in person.

I'll be at Beer & Sweat on Saturday.  I'll be at the Dayton competition in September.  I'll be at the GABF.  I'll be at other Cinci events in October.  Lots of chances, come on out.