Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First brewing-related injury  (Read 3649 times)

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
Re: First brewing-related injury
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 03:24:18 pm »
It is best to place the receiving vessel on the counter when pouring a solution from one vessel to another.

yep, both flasks were off the burners, the one i lifted to pour was the one that boiled over onto the top of the hand that was holding it. I honestly didnt think that could happen, but boy was i wrong!

I'm usually extremely careful when brewing, but it just goes to show that accidents happen when you least expect it.
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 04:32:32 pm »
I've burned myself but not badly. And the lifting is kept to a minimum now.

I think Denny nearly set himself on fire one time. But he'll have to tell you about that one... 8)
Are you sure that had to do with brewing?

Partying w/ Richard Pryor?  ;)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline eltharyon

• Cellarman
    • Barefoot Lion Brewing
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 07:03:53 pm »
Of course there's the old don't sulfur smudge an empty bourbon barrel...I was looking to get a barrel for the club and Dave Houseman warned me about Gordon Strong almost blowing himself up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 08:20:03 am »
I think Denny nearly set himself on fire one time. But he'll have to tell you about that one... 8)

That's an urban legend in our club....didn't really happen, but it makes a great story!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 11:00:04 am »
I have a silicone covered oven mit that I found at a kitchen store. Its great. The silicone has a lot of grip and it is waterproof and easily cleanable. Besides brewing, I use it when cooking turkeys and other large, heavy hunks of meat. I can just pick them up out of the pan - no tools needed.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958