Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Converting All Grain Recipe's to Partial Mash  (Read 10592 times)

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
Converting All Grain Recipe's to Partial Mash
« on: September 22, 2011, 01:32:17 pm »
A friend of mine who recently started brewing partial mash has asked me to give him a few of my recipe's.  My recipe's are all-formulated for all-grain.  I am wondering if there is a rule of thumb as far as how much of your base grain would be replaced with extract when converting the recipe?

I guess theoritically you are limited by the amount of grain that you can stick in one of those large grain bags that most people use for partial mash.  On the lower extreme I guess you want to include enough base grain in the mash to make sure you have enough enzyme to convert any non-crystal specialty grains or adjuncts that you are using.

This quesion is probably a matter of personal preference, but I'd appreciate thoughts.
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Converting All Grain Recipe's to Partial Mash
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 01:33:51 pm »
Mash as much grain as you can..all the specialties and as much base malt as you have room for.  Then use light DME to make up what you're missing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Converting All Grain Recipe's to Partial Mash
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 02:50:36 pm »
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=1084.0

This thread has a link to the PDF I've used for years as my bench mark for converting recipes.

"The short answer,based on typical all-grain processes and extract characteristics, is to use 3/4 (0.75) lb of liquid extract
for each pound of grain being substituted, or 2/3 (0.67) lb dry extract."

This conversion has served me very well over the years, though I sometimes round up and wind up with stronger beers than originally intended.  Which is not all bad.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton