Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxygen and liquor  (Read 4578 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Oxygen and liquor
« on: August 04, 2013, 06:59:00 pm »
Can someone explain to me why if you open a beer or growler it is good for a day but a bottle of whiskey is good for days or weeks, even months ( who am I kidding, never had one last much longer that a month).? Just wondering.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Oxygen and liquor
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 07:44:57 pm »
Or wine. ..

Lacking common denominator is CO2. Not that it's the reason or that I could possibly know the reason. Just a WAG

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 07:49:21 pm »
Or wine. ..

Lacking common denominator is CO2. Not that it's the reason or that I could possibly know the reason. Just a WAG

That's what I was thinking too Jim, lack of CO2.  Not sure if it's the main reason, but it has to be a factor, right?
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 07:52:24 pm »
Wine may stale differently than beer, but I think it still stales.

My assumption has always been that whatever staling compounds exist in beer don't survive the distilling process.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 04:12:16 am »
Wine definitely goes bad - not quite as fast as beer but oxygen definitely destroys it.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 05:34:33 am »
Whiskey (and other distilled spirits) aren't really food products anymore - they are just ethanol and water with trace amounts of flavor, aroma, and color compounds from the barrel (or from spicing).

Beer/wine can 'go bad' from a few sources that don't really affect spirits:

Oxidation of organic compounds in beer/wine causes staling. Since spirits lack carbohydrates and proteins, there isn't anything to oxidize. Actually, I believe the same is true for mead (per Michael Fairbrother in an NHC talk this year, I don't have much experience with meadmaking, just meaddrinking).

Infection is not an issue with distilled spirits because of its high alcohol content and low nutrient content.

I'm not sure if distilled spirits are susceptible to lightstrike. I'll have to look this one up.

No yeast carries over in the still runoff, so autolysis won't affect spirits.

Did I forget any other ways to ruin beer?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 06:56:45 am »
Whiskey (and other distilled spirits) aren't really food products anymore - they are just ethanol and water with trace amounts of flavor, aroma, and color compounds from the barrel (or from spicing).

Oxidation of organic compounds in beer/wine causes staling. Since spirits lack carbohydrates and proteins, there isn't anything to oxidize. Actually, I believe the same is true for mead (per Michael Fairbrother in an NHC talk this year, I don't have much experience with meadmaking, just meaddrinking).

Infection is not an issue with distilled spirits because of its high alcohol content and low nutrient content.

I'm not sure if distilled spirits are susceptible to lightstrike. I'll have to look this one up.

No iso-AA = no skunk.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 07:01:42 am »

I think these are the main reasons. There are organic compounds in many liqueurs though. Perhaps the high ABV inhibits oxidation too. Think Irish Cream - lots of protein, fat, and sugar there.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 07:02:34 am »
Also, Sam Adams Utopias can stay open for weeks or more with no staling.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 07:04:48 am »
Good run down, Kyle. FYI I have definitely tasted oxidized mead. A guy close to me dabbles in wine making and mead making and he makes some truly horrible stuff. All wet cardboard and sherry.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 09:01:38 am »
I think ABV has something to do with it. I had a bottle of the northcoast old stock reserve that took nearly a week to finish and it was just as good on day 5 as day 1. damn that was tasty. perhaps also tannins? anti-oxidants? red wine lasts longer than white (red = anti-oxidants). Oak aged beers last longer than non-oak aged? I don't know if that is true. just a thought. Do dark beers last longer? I know a kolsch can start tasting a little iffy if you don't finish the glass within an hour or so. whereas a nice dry stout can sit and breath for a while and still be quaffable.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 11:08:05 pm »
When I imbibe too much Liquor, I borrow the wife's oxygen, and
my head stops hurting fast....just sayin!  I think oxygen
and liquor are a good combination.   :P
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 12:23:33 am »

Anyone else here looking at their O2 setup and getting ideas? I knew i bought the inline HEPA filter for a reason...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 07:38:19 am »

Anyone else here looking at their O2 setup and getting ideas? I knew i bought the inline HEPA filter for a reason...

I'm looking at my beer and thinking, 'That could be whiskey!'  I mean, I'd hate to see it get oxidized, and all like that...
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 07:51:17 am »

I think these are the main reasons. There are organic compounds in many liqueurs though. Perhaps the high ABV inhibits oxidation too. Think Irish Cream - lots of protein, fat, and sugar there.

But also preservatives. Those liqueurs will go bad in time, especially if they are not kept refrigerated.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing