Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carboy Hauler  (Read 5687 times)

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
Carboy Hauler
« on: January 06, 2010, 10:02:15 am »

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: Carboy Hauler
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 10:20:55 am »
I just use a milk crate.  Even lazier, I attached the crate to a small furniture dolly with bungie cords so I didn't have to carry it.
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline schristian619

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 11:09:23 am »
I use these and love them.  I ferment in a temp controlled chest freezer and these are essential for getting the carboys in/out of the freezer. 

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 02:23:01 pm »
I use these and love them.  I ferment in a temp controlled chest freezer and these are essential for getting the carboys in/out of the freezer. 

+1

Makes transporting them safer and easier.
Ron Price

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 03:32:02 pm »
I've been thinking of getting one of them too.  Right now I transport cooled wort into the house from the brew shed so sometimes it worries me.  I fell last week on my porch when I went out to get the mail, damn happy I wasn't moving wort in a carboy!   :o

Offline rep

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 04:08:38 pm »
Don't hesitate, it is a very good product.
Wear Wool, Sit on Leather, Ride Lugged Steel

Offline gail

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 04:28:27 pm »
I ended up buying a carboy bag from B3.  It's much like the BrewHauler but has longer handles and black heavy fabric that covers the carboy.  Being a bit weaker than you guys, I found I needed to move my carboy by placing both handles in the crook of my arm (inner elbow) to safely move the full carboy from place to place.  I would find it very hard to have one hand on either side of the carboy as in a milk crate or short-handled hauler and try to walk with a full carboy (too dangerous for me!).  I contacted the BrewHauler folks about a year ago, however, and they said they could make the handles to any length I specified.  When I need to get a new hauler, I plan on going that route as it's a bit cheaper than the carboy bag.  I do like the black fabric cover on the bag, though.
Gail

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 08:38:08 pm »

Got 4 . . love 'em all.
Just brew it...

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 06:41:46 am »
Thanks.  I like my better bottles but still like the glass carboys better for the most part.

I don't have a problem lifting or carrying them at all but I always cringe when I'm carrying one up/down stairs.

Offline alemental

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 04:03:59 pm »
Great product! Love 'em.
I bought one, measured it, and made a few copies of my own. But with a longer draw strap, as the ones that come with tho original are barely long enough to do a 6.5 gallon carboy. Very simple job.
Webbing and buckles are available here:
http://www.owfinc.com/

Offline makemehoppy

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 07:29:05 am »
I had trouble with the milk crate. I found I had a hard time holding it by the crate handles. I had one of those large plastic buckets that would hold a 1/2 barrel and ice and use that. The handles are easy to grip and I have no problem getting down the stairs to my fermentation fridge.
Those carboy haulers look pretty good and I'd buy one if I could try it out first to see how I like it.

Offline Flyin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 04:54:55 pm »
Like everyone else... Got one & love it. Won't move a carboy without it.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 07:27:37 pm »
Yep, love mine also.  Will probably get another one just because I couldn't live without it if something happened to my first one.  ;D
Joe

Offline dontblake

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
    • Indian Peaks Alers
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 05:14:50 pm »
+12 on the milk crate.  Just about each of my carboys lives in one - makes it pretty easy to get wort into the basement.
I do have a carboy hauler, however, and do indeed like it.   The only problem is that I have it on a carboy of mead and have only had to pick it up once or twice.  Smart, huh?
Don Blake, Erie CO
Founder, Indian Peaks Alers
Grand Master BJCP Judge

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 07:07:34 am »
I got mine and it's great except that you really need more than one.  Kind of a pain to get on a full carboy but it's doable.