Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sam Adams Octoberfest 2011  (Read 7324 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Sam Adams Octoberfest 2011
« on: August 29, 2011, 08:16:23 pm »
Okay, I am ready to take the hit...I think this year's Sam Adams Octoberfest is pretty good (Midwest version).

Let the feeding frenzy begin.... ::)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
Re: Sam Adams Octoberfest 2011
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 08:26:41 pm »
I got a free case of this leftover from a client dinner . . It is drinkable, but too much caramel IMHO.
Just brew it...

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 12:02:51 am »
I had last year's. Decent but then again they all were. That I tried I mean...

Sigh. Will have to try the rotation again since there's at least six to choose from already. Just appeared on the shelves overnight... :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 05:07:01 am »
It is drinkable, but too much caramel IMHO.

I haven't tried this years yet but based on past experience this is what I'm expecting.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 05:43:49 am »
I like their O-fest and try and pick up a six pack every year. Some years it is better than others, but it is always far from terrible. One of the seasonals they do best IMO, along with their Spring Pilsner seasonal.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 06:06:47 am »
I try to get as much of it as possible every year.  This year is no exception.  I showed up in 6 packs earlier in August but took a while for the 12 packs to show up.

As a matter of fact, I think I'm out and will have to make a stop on the way home tonight.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 04:27:31 pm »
I consider it a "safe" buy for Octoberfest. Its not my favorite, but it did turn me on to the style. I usually buy a 12 pack of it per year.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 02:30:04 pm »
I bought six of these last night and had one so far.  Pretty nice traditional O-fest if you ask me.
My six pack had a $1 off coupon on it, but when I got to check out, I found it was $1 off cheese.  No brands or styles mentioned, just cheese.  Why does Boston Beer Co. want me to have cheese?  What's that got to do with Oktoberfest?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline aviking427

• Cellarman
  • Pound Ridge, NY
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 03:07:47 pm »
I bought six of these last night and had one so far.  Pretty nice traditional O-fest if you ask me.
My six pack had a $1 off coupon on it, but when I got to check out, I found it was $1 off cheese.  No brands or styles mentioned, just cheese.  Why does Boston Beer Co. want me to have cheese?  What's that got to do with Oktoberfest?

absolutely nothing. Its a marketing gimic that we in the marketing world use all the time to "entice" consumers who are not necessarily Sam Adams drinkers, to pick up a 12 pack because there is a now perceived added value. You can now save $1 on any cheese you want and Sam Adams will be paying for that $1 you save. The real hope is that redemption is low but they see an sales increase.
Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 05:54:07 pm »
I bought six of these last night and had one so far.  Pretty nice traditional O-fest if you ask me.
My six pack had a $1 off coupon on it, but when I got to check out, I found it was $1 off cheese.  No brands or styles mentioned, just cheese.  Why does Boston Beer Co. want me to have cheese?  What's that got to do with Oktoberfest?

I always liked this cheese dish with my Munich beers.  Maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obatzda

edit - and one of those really big white radishes on the side.  Oh, man!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 12:35:13 am »
That cheese and some dark dense bread along with a couple beers sounds like a meal. And the cheese looks perfectly doable.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 07:47:17 am »
on the way home last night, I bought a six of these and a few Ayingers.  The former was cold, so I tried one - pretty good - nice rich bready aroma.  malt body seems a bit thinner and less complex than other representations, but this also makes it incredibly drinkable (had it with a nice peppered ham, genoa,aged provolone and pesto panini - went down quick).  Hop bitterness is more than I remember however.

I like it, probably won't buy it again this season simply because I want to try several other brewery's examples this fall, not to mention the two kegs I have lagering right now.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 11:32:28 am »
I like it, its not the greatest example of the style but its very drinkable.  A 1/6th barrel keg from the local liqour store was nicely priced, and many of my BMC drinker friends like it, so its a gateway beer for them, and doesn't take up any more space then my cornies while homebrew stocks are low.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 06:30:51 am »
I've bought 2 six packs this year so far and may pick up a case at Costco. I think this is one beer SA does very, very well.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 07:21:07 am »
I've been slowing consuming the case I got . . still have 12 left. I discovered something last night when I decided to quick chill a bottle and placed it in the freezer. I left it in a little too long and the beer was almost slush. It still poured and I drank it literally ice cold. I preferred the flavor more at that temp than the 45 degrees I normally would drink it. I guess it subdued the caramel a little.
Just brew it...