Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saffron?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Saffron?
« on: September 10, 2011, 11:59:01 pm »
Heading back from a trip to Dubai, where I picked up, amongst other things, a quantity of really nice, fresh saffron and I was wondering if anyone had used it successfully in an ale, or whether it's best kept for the usual culinary uses. I know DFH used it in Midas, but other than that I don't know of any other commercials.

I was leaning towards a blonde or wheat base, to let the color and flavor come through. Perhaps a wit recipe without the orange and coriander? Add at flameout?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Saffron?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:22:23 am »
The Wit man! I think a light touch and more for a orange-red color. Not sure it is appropriate in beer in regards to it's taste. If it was great in beer then it would be used more I think. Used more as a colorant in savory dishes.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 05:19:46 am »
I have been thinking about using some in my fall saison. I would recommend making a tea and adding it after fermentation.

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 09:13:18 am »
The Wit man! I think a light touch and more for a orange-red color. Not sure it is appropriate in beer in regards to it's taste. If it was great in beer then it would be used more I think. Used more as a colorant in savory dishes.

I imagine the whole $1000/lb thing has to do with how frequently it is used in beer.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 09:24:12 am »
FYI sam Adams used some saffron in the "Kolsch" seasonal release. Wasn't a great beer but some of the saffron came through. A little goes a long way.