Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Not Digging This Pumpkin Ale.  (Read 6006 times)

Offline arsenal610

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Inspector
Not Digging This Pumpkin Ale.
« on: September 30, 2011, 09:40:13 am »
I tried Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale a few days ago and I was quite disappointed.  The watery finish and the lack of that pumpkin ale taste  made this my least favorite pumpkin beer.   For me, it's not worth the price.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--hC2StvLuY
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:03:20 am by arsenal610 »

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Re: Not Digging This Pumpkin Ale.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 04:15:57 pm »
My friends and I poured out three Shipyard beers at GABF.  Rather disappointing really.  The pumpkin was one of them.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 03:36:19 pm »
I made the mistake of buying a sixer of the shipyard pumpkin.  I still have four left but I might as well just dump them because they're not even good for cooking.  Terrible.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:45:53 pm »
I don't like any pumpkin beer. They can just about all be poured down the drain. Pie yes. beer no. Plain and simple.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 08:49:57 pm »
Damn Major!  We agree completely on something.  Pies, yes.  Thai pumkin curry, yes indeed.  Punkin chunkin, yeah baby!  

Pumpkin beer?  No way Hose-A.   :P

Time for snow blowers in hell?   ;)

I will not say bad things about Shipyard.  A friend of mine brews at Shipyard Emporium in Florida.  Ron is one of the best brewers I know. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 08:53:27 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 09:03:09 pm »
Yes, Ron is a great brewer.

For those who may want to try a good pumpkin ale, try Southern Tier's Pumking (8.6% ABV).
Very good aroma, and not watery at all, IMO. 
We had a taste of it a few weekends ago at a local gastropub (Kickback's).
It was served in a large tulip glass rimmed with sugar, cinnamon, and crushed graham crackers.

The ladies sure liked it.  One of them had three glasses of it.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:13:02 pm »
The ladies sure liked it.  One of them had three glasses of it.

Hmmm...  I might be changing my mind about pumpkin beer.    ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:23:46 pm »
I think that pumpkins beer are only good for sanitary land fill. But I am a little bias I had one too many pumpkins beers one night and thats all she wrote.
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 03:36:47 am »
When used to chase cheap Irish whiskey, pumpkin beer becomes amazing.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 04:17:25 am »
I'll just skip the cheap irish whisley and go straight to good american bourbon and not bother with pumpkin beer thankyouverymuch.  :) Seriously, if you have to chase a whiskey with anything it's simply not worth drinking. Unless you chase a whiskey with another whiskey.

As far as Pumpking goes, I've heard good things about it. But if it smells like pumpkin pie I'm not interested. the ladies can have it. At least it's good for one thing.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 04:22:10 am by majorvices »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 09:00:42 am »
I don't like a lot of pumpkin beers, but I have to brew one now for the homebrew club.  A buddy of mine has a family farm that grows the little sweet pumpkins that are meant for cooking (not the big Jack O' Lantern types, which taste like ____).  So he gave us all some of the pumpkin, asking us to brew a batch with it to see what works.  We can make whatever style we want, adding the pumpkin to the mash or in secondary or whenever, as long as it uses 2 pounds of pumpkin somewhere.  So I've decided to go for more of a sweet potato pie sort of a thing..... Scotch ale.... with big malt sweetness, and consideration of whether to add a little vanilla to mimic marshmallow topping.  No cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg or clove in this one at all.  I want to steer in a new direction.  I think a Scotch ale might work well with this.  I haven't brewed it yet but I'll be doing so this weekend.  Although not a typical fan of pumpkin type beers, I'm actually interested to see how it turns out.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 09:13:26 am »
I don't like a lot of pumpkin beers, but I have to brew one now for the homebrew club.  A buddy of mine has a family farm that grows the little sweet pumpkins that are meant for cooking (not the big Jack O' Lantern types, which taste like ____).  So he gave us all some of the pumpkin, asking us to brew a batch with it to see what works.  We can make whatever style we want, adding the pumpkin to the mash or in secondary or whenever, as long as it uses 2 pounds of pumpkin somewhere.  So I've decided to go for more of a sweet potato pie sort of a thing..... Scotch ale.... with big malt sweetness, and consideration of whether to add a little vanilla to mimic marshmallow topping.  No cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg or clove in this one at all.  I want to steer in a new direction.  I think a Scotch ale might work well with this.  I haven't brewed it yet but I'll be doing so this weekend.  Although not a typical fan of pumpkin type beers, I'm actually interested to see how it turns out.

I could get on board with that, dave. I have been thinking about butternut squash as an ingredient. Just no pumpkin pie spices.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 09:30:58 am »
I don't like any pumpkin beer. They can just about all be poured down the drain. Pie yes. beer no. Plain and simple.

I'm with ya, buddy.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 10:20:46 am »

I would agree with you here, save for one exception. Good Gourd from Cigar City. I kept going back for that one at GABF.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 10:22:23 am »
I agree, There are some good ones out there.