Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ken Burns' Prohibition  (Read 3168 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Ken Burns' Prohibition
« on: October 05, 2011, 12:48:21 am »
Wow! I didn't know much of this stuff about prohibition and consider myself somewhat informed. Homemade wine was legal but not beer.  ??? You could still drink legally... Thought that was illegal as well. Makes the 21st seem much more relevant somehow.

Plus this is excellent Burns on his A-game. Very tasty. :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Ken Burns' Prohibition
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 09:33:29 am »
I've been working every night and didn't see it, but I did record it.Now, I just have to find time to watch it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:59:33 am »
I recorded this too, I was hoping to hear some feedback. There were some mixed critic reviews, but I really dont pay too much attention to them.
Mark

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 10:15:00 am »
I only saw last night's episode (the last one).  It was interesting to see how the politicians tried to please every side of the issue and that women were the major force behind repealing the Volstead Act.  The fact the politicians would vote down bills to repeal the act and then show up at the leader of the repeal movements house for dinner and drink her booze was too much like today to laugh at though.

One of my coworkers said the moonshiner's stories were great.  Of course I didn't see that episode.  8^(

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 02:47:02 pm »
It seemed like there was a lot of hypocrisy going on.  I didn't see where they said drinking alcohol was legal.  I did see the part about making wine though, thought that was dumb.  It's higher alcohol than beer, fools!  What a stupid stupid part of our history.  I only saw part of the last episode, I think it was.  Would like to see the whole thing.
There was one part that was talking about how making alcohol illegal was a moral law.  "Can't put a law on morals," one of them said.  Ha!  Made me think about the same thing that's going on with marijuana right now.  Moral law, end of story.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:49:51 pm by beersk »
Jesse

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 03:05:25 pm »
You expect moral consistency from any body of more than 2 people who aren't family?

The Volstead Act never prohibited drinking - it prohibited the sale, manufacture and transportation of alcohol. That effectively outlawed drinking, but if you had pre-pro stashes, go for it.

Then let's not forget there were religious dispensations (Catholics have to have their sacramental wine after all) and medical dispensations - you could get a prescription for booze as well. (sound familiar?)

Yes, prohibition in this country is silly and wasteful. Now that's not to say there wasn't a point. If you read the history of the tavern culture in pre-prohibition society, it was not in a place where we'd considerable acceptable today. Far more old west and men getting soused every night, gambling fortunes and sleeping with women of ill repute, etc than the clean bright pub life we like to think happened. Could that have changed without prohibtion? Undoubtedly, it already was, but prohibition put the brakes on that culture and ironically opened up a more inclusive culture of illicit drinking.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 03:17:00 pm »
Far more old west and men getting soused every night, gambling fortunes and sleeping with women of ill repute, etc

You say that as if it's a bad thing.  :-\

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 03:19:45 pm »
Touche, Drew. 
Jesse

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 03:20:05 pm »
It profoundly affected and shaped our culture and government and gave rise to Organized Crime. Seems to me this is where big government got it's roots- at least in the law-enforcement aspect. Since the states did little spending the govt was forced to form and/or expand agencies such as the FBI and what ultimately became the ATF.

Far more old west and men getting soused every night, gambling fortunes and sleeping with women of ill repute, etc

You say that as if it's a bad thing.  :-\

Haha I was going to say the same!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 03:41:34 pm »

The Volstead Act never prohibited drinking - it prohibited the sale, manufacture and transportation of alcohol. That effectively outlawed drinking, but if you had pre-pro stashes, go for it.

kind of like having stocked up on montecristo cigars pre embargo
Don AHA member

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 03:52:38 pm »
 A lot of folks got rich during this time (see also: Kennedys). Nothing like un-reported income.

When they show the G-Men busting up barrel after barrel of beer you start wondering...Hmmm, wonder where all that came from? That is not a backyard operation. The big boys still operated, the product just went out the back door instead of the front.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline dolecek21

• Cellarman
  • Denver, Co
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 04:10:42 pm »
I've only seen the first 2/3 or so of the first episode, pretty interesting.  I didn't realize how close the movement for prohibition/anti-alcohol was to Women's suffrage. 

Also, you can stream all of the past episodes from the PBS website:

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/prohibition/

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 04:15:53 pm »
In fairness to Joe Kennedy, he never was a bootlegger.  According to Okrent's text (Last Call), he points out that Joe got into the legal medicinal alcohol business, then subsequently bought a distributorship.  Aside from the women, who were influential, there were a group of very rich men who funded wet candidates.  These guys wanted to repeal the 18th in an effort repeal the income tax.  Unfortunately, after the repeal, the income tax stayed and their leader (Dupont of the chemical company) lamented that his efforts were misspent repealing the wrong amendment.  

If you get a chance read Okrent's book: Last Call: The rise and fall of prohibition.  Excellent books and it seems that Burns based his doc on Okrent's research, he appears several times in the documentary.  

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 11:29:14 pm »
Woohoo it's on again in a few minutes. Really this is important stuff folks. Could this happen again or are we too informed now?

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 08:33:23 am »
Woohoo it's on again in a few minutes. Really this is important stuff folks. Could this happen again or are we too informed now?
It won't happen again.  Not no way, not no how!
Jesse