Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Louisville, Kentucky  (Read 6645 times)

Offline curtcrock

• 1st Kit
Louisville, Kentucky
« on: October 11, 2011, 01:06:41 pm »
I'll be in Louisville Kentucky in three weeks and would appreciate some local knowledge.  Any thoughts on breweries/brewpubs/taprooms that would be worth visiting?  Also, any restaurant recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  I'll be in town for three days so I can visit multiple sites.
Thanks,

Curt

Offline curtcrock

• 1st Kit
Re: Louisville, Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 01:53:45 pm »
Bump . . . any ideas?

One interesting item of note that I found while looking for info; Bluegrass Brewing Co. just hired Jeremy Hunt as head brewer.  Jeremy is the former head brewer at Dogfish Head.

coastsidemike

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 07:24:15 pm »
I'm rolling through Louisville at the moment, here's a first pass:

I travel often; I always inquire about the $1 AHA discount when visiting craft breweries because it's fun to do so.  Usually servers have no idea what the AHA is and react in a skeptical fashion.

I dropped into Bluegrass because it was convenient.  With Bluegrass, when I asked about the discount the reception was warm and many samples were given.  They knew their beers.  One thing in particular is that they said the downtown restaurant beers are filtered whereas with their main location it would not be the case, and that beer enthusiasts would seek out their main brewing location (it's a bit off the tourist path).

Beers were excellent but not overly hoppy in aroma (usually what I'm looking for), and included a casked ale; the food was excellent and affordably priced.  Looking forward to visiting again.

musseldoc

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 08:50:28 pm »
Two must visit places are the Holy Grale and Sergio's; the Louisville Beer Store is pretty good too.  My favorite breweries are BBC and Cumberland; both serve excellent food btw.  We also have a Gordon Biersch if you like lagers. 

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 09:49:37 pm »
You are in Louisville looking for beer?  That's like being in a gold mine looking for silver.  Really?!

Whiskey!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

coastsidemike

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 07:39:33 am »
Thanks musseldoc!  Looking them up now.

You are in Louisville looking for beer?  That's like being in a gold mine looking for silver.  Really?!

Shame, I know.  I get hangovers from distilled spirits, so it's just a wee bit of tasting.

Offline Siamese Moose

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 07:51:24 am »
I have been there a couple times. Some additions to your list: Rich O's (http://www.richos.com/) and New Albanian (http://www.newalbanian.com/), just across the river in southern Indiana, and Apocalypse (http://apocalypsebrewworks.com/), less than a year old opened by a couple of friends of mine who happen to be outstanding homebrewers.

Even if you're not into spirits, take a short drive south and take the tour at Jim Beam. It's well worth it.
Please read her profile, and reelect my wife to the Governing Committee: Roxanne Westendorf

I named my brewery after my cat, Moose. He's Siamese.
Rob Westendorf
Cincinnati, OH
Bloatarian Brewing League current President
BJCP National (outranked by my wife, the Master Judge)

coastsidemike

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 01:31:41 pm »
I called Apocalypse; very very friendly.  They listed 3 other places that were "must visit" either coming or going from their place (I'll be on foot). Thanks for the tip! 

Feels kinda awkward to visit homebrewers without bringing a sample of my own. :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:26:20 pm by surfin_mikeg »

coastsidemike

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 08:25:31 pm »
hey Siamese Moose, thank you. 

I know a few homebrewers who are making the move to a full-time brewing; With Apocalypse they are making their own equipment, brewing and distributing at their own pace, on their own dime.  Uniquely DIY (solar?), very inspirational.  Happy customers, nice selection to boot.

musseldoc

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 07:15:06 am »
The folks at Apocalypse are excellent people.  They are all 10+ year homebrew club members who started their own brewery.  Unfortunately, they still work real jobs and are only open on Fridays and Saturdays. 

The only place I know of to get your AHA discount is BJ's.  They have good food and beer, but are pretty for away from the main beer scene here.

coastsidemike

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 11:00:21 am »
the AHA card/discount is really a conversation starter, not so much about a discount. 

Finished up with a wonderful Hot Brown and then some Elmer T Lee at the BBC.  People we're amazingly friendly, Louisville is a great place to visit.  Thanks again for the suggestions!

Offline joe_feist

• Assistant Brewer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 05:17:51 pm »
Ok, I know this is way late and I've been warned. But for anybody else headed through Louisville -maybe this summer. Two things to remember -
1. Bourbon. You can get whiskey anywhere.
2. Doc Crow's BBQ on Main Street. Just down the street from the ball park. And yes, only baseball is played in a park.

I don't remember Doc's beer selection being incredible, but the food. Man...
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 05:33:47 am »
Just a few days ago I tasted some great beers and food at Cumberland.  Worth the little drive out of downtown.  They had a great selection of about a dozen beers or more.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.