Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mashing Raw Wheat  (Read 23063 times)

Offline newrocset

• Cellarman
Mashing Raw Wheat
« on: October 19, 2011, 02:47:41 pm »
I have a batch of raw wheat that I want to use in a Hefeweizen.

Grain bill will be 50% 2 Row and 50% Raw Wheat.

I've been told several things from boiling the wheat prior to mashing - not to worry about and just do a regular infusion mash - or to do a decoction mash to activate the enzymes in the raw wheat.

Anybody here ever use raw wheat?  What are your suggestions? ???
Have a Kolsch and a smile!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Mashing Raw Wheat
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 02:50:46 pm »
I have a batch of raw wheat that I want to use in a Hefeweizen.

Grain bill will be 50% 2 Row and 50% Raw Wheat.

I've been told several things from boiling the wheat prior to mashing - not to worry about and just do a regular infusion mash - or to do a decoction mash to activate the enzymes in the raw wheat.

Anybody here ever use raw wheat?  What are your suggestions? ???

You will not be activating any enzymes in the wheat. The idea behind boiling or decoction is to gelatenize the starch so it is available to the enzymes in the barley malt. I have used raw wheat once and just added it to the mash as usual. I did not see any problems but that is a very limited experience. others may have more info. There was a thread on here about the gelatenizing temps for various grains that would give you an answer. If the temp for wheat is below that of your infusion mash then you are all good!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 02:53:46 pm »
I've used it a few times recently and didn't do a cereal mash first, seem to have gotten decent efficiency.  I'm sure a good fine crush helps.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 02:55:16 pm »
Raw wheat can be a pain to mill. Plan on extra time and @(*$^$&%. On mashing unmalted wheat, Randy Mosher gave a friend of mine some advice through Ask the Experts. Go here and scroll down to Richie from Delaware -

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/lets-brew/ask-the-experts/randy-mosher?cid=zdS6p%2bpj6%2bg3tEBYRiz1dw%3d%3d&redirect=http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/lets-brew/ask-the-experts/randy-mosher

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

narvin

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 03:00:42 pm »
I've used it a few times recently and didn't do a cereal mash first, seem to have gotten decent efficiency.  I'm sure a good fine crush helps.

This has been my experience.  I use a corona mill set tight to grind it to almost a flour.

Offline newrocset

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 03:40:21 pm »
Raw wheat can be a pain to mill. Plan on extra time and @(*$^$&%. On mashing unmalted wheat, Randy Mosher gave a friend of mine some advice through Ask the Experts. Go here and scroll down to Richie from Delaware -

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/lets-brew/ask-the-experts/randy-mosher?cid=zdS6p%2bpj6%2bg3tEBYRiz1dw%3d%3d&redirect=http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/lets-brew/ask-the-experts/randy-mosher

Sounds like he uses a coffee mill to grind the raw wheat.....guess I could use my food processor that I use mill my coffee grains?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 08:45:06 pm by newrocset »
Have a Kolsch and a smile!

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 09:48:20 am »
I crush mine through my grain mill but it really drags on the drill I drive it with and I have to start out with malt or the thing has a tendency to seize and not get going at all..  I think your food processor would work, just pulse until you see the right amount of
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 08:51:58 am »
Cooking it does yield higher extract.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 09:52:08 am »
Raw wheat has a gelatanization temp that is lower than that of the mash temp you will use for the barley.  It will be converted in the mash. 

Doing a cereal mash will give a better mouthfeel (according to Moaher0, and extraction by bursting the hard small starch granules making them available for conversion.  This is the same as for a decoction mash using all barley, which gives slightly higher extract.

Where are all of the style/Reinheitsgebot police?  Just kidding...
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 10:06:27 am »
Isn't part of using raw wheat, that it contributes non-converted starch particles to give the cloudy white color?  If so, then would you really want to do a cereal mash for a witbeer?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 10:14:14 am »
Isn't part of using raw wheat, that it contributes non-converted starch particles to give the cloudy white color? 

I don't think so.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 10:32:40 am »
I don't think so either.  That's not to say it doesn't (although it should convert fine if there is sufficient DP in the other grains).  It has a different flavor than malted wheat, which is why I would use one instead of the other.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 01:51:18 pm »
Then what makes a white beer, white?  Protein?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 01:57:35 pm »
Then what makes a white beer, white?  Protein?

Since I'm guessing, I'll guess yes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 02:32:00 pm »
Yes, protein and suspended yeast as far as I know.

You can get a starch haze, but beers like that are less stable than those without residual starch.
Tom Schmidlin