Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First lager; WY2112 racking/lagering recommendations?  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
First lager; WY2112 racking/lagering recommendations?
« on: November 03, 2011, 08:03:21 pm »
My first lager has been bubbling away in the fermentation chamber at 59*F for 4 weeks this Saturday.  I've seen various methods in recipes for lagering with this strain and it has me rather befuddled. I understand that this is a 'hybrid' strain that prefers temps in between typical lager and ale fermentation temps.  I'm trying to decide whether to rack into carboys for additional fermentation time at a lower temp. or if I should transfer to kegs and begin lagering at lower temp prior to carbing/service. I find the input from this forum really helpful so I'd really appreciate any advice you might offer for working with this strain. Really wondering what temperature to drop it to.
I'm very excited to try this beer.  When I open the freezer I get a wonderful apple juice aroma, not cidery just apple-y.  Had me a bit concerned at first. Last week I cracked a Weihenstephaner classic and took a sniff. Holy cr@p! It smelled just like freezer!  Not sure if it was the correct impression but I took it as a good sign.  Again, any advice regarding racking/lagering with 2112, specifically carboy or keg, temperature and lager time would be so very appreciated.  Oh and one more thing. If you put it in a corny to lager, do you add CO2 pressure and if so how much.  Wow, sorry for the ramblin' rookie post. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Re: First lager; WY2112 racking/lagering recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 08:11:16 pm »
Hey Pinski.  I have used that yeast quite a bit.  I think it definitely benefits from a couple months of cold conditioning.

Seems on the carboy vs keg question, it does not really matter. 
But, if you put it in a keg and pressurize it up, you might be able to sample it over time and see how age changes it.

Have fun!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 06:22:37 am »
If you can, bring it down to 50-52F for 2 weeks, then drop to lagering temps for 2+ weeks.  It will be AWEWSOME!   ;)

I have Steam Beer #6 on tap right now.  2112 rocks.  If you can, save the slurry.  I haven't bought a new pack this year.  It keeps very well.

Edit:  *First rack to corny, put in a little pressure and purge to make sure you have good seal.

Dave
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 06:35:16 am by davidgzach »
Dave Zach

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 11:42:01 am »
Thanks guys. I like the idea of the two stage temp drop. I'll put it in cornies on Sunday and drop it to 52* for a couple weeks. Cheers!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified