Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Cheese Soup  (Read 8903 times)

Offline bobh

• 1st Kit
    • Dry Wolf Brewing co.
Beer Cheese Soup
« on: January 17, 2010, 05:16:21 am »
Anybody have a killer beer cheese soup recipe they'd like to share? 

Offline jsled

• 1st Kit
Re: Beer Cheese Soup
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 08:25:48 am »
Not in particular; there are tons available on sites like Recipezaar and such.  All I will say is to make sure to not boil soup when adding the cheese … this is what usually results in a grainy texture.  Also, a simple roux in the base of the soup is going to help get a nice thickness without needing as much cheese or milk.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 09:41:57 am »
Isn't there anybody from Wisconsin here?
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 10:27:17 am »
I've got a potato beer cheese soup recipe that I make for club brewing events.  I'll post the recipe later....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 09:25:15 pm »
I took the one that was featured on Epicurious and made it my own with some of my homebrewed 'Bone-idle Bitter' which turned out very good. The Cabot recipe is simple to make & quite delicious on a cold evening paired with some fresh baked bread. :D

Cheddar Beer Soup
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/printerfriendly/Cheddar-Beer-Soup-231641

Cabot Cheddar Cheese Soup
http://www.cabotcheese.coop/pages/recipes/recipe.php?id=357
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:27:03 pm by Beertracker »
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 07:19:47 am »
I've got a potato beer cheese soup recipe that I make for club brewing events.  I'll post the recipe later....

Hey Denny, it's later. :)

Offline bobh

• 1st Kit
    • Dry Wolf Brewing co.
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 06:28:17 am »
Thanks for the suggestions. If you're ever in Helena MT, the Lewis and Clark Brewpub makes a great one!  My wife was just down there a few days ago and I tried to have her get the recipe, but her server wasn't able to come through. Got a growler of their IPA and Hefe though so I can't complain. 

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 08:58:00 am »
Thanks for the suggestions. If you're ever in Helena MT, the Lewis and Clark Brewpub makes a great one!  My wife was just down there a few days ago and I tried to have her get the recipe, but her server wasn't able to come through. Got a growler of their IPA and Hefe though so I can't complain. 

Is that the Brewhouse Pub & Grille?  If it is I was there a couple of times and absolutely love their Afterburner Burger. Probably one of the best burgers I've ever eaten. I love Montana. I actually own some property in Columbus. I can't wait to gat back up there.

Sorry for the thread highjack.  ::)
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 06:44:59 pm »
Afterburner Burger. Probably one of the best burgers I've ever eaten.

Is that like jalepenos, pepperjack cheese, hot sauce, and stuff like that? maybe some onion rings on the burger too?
There was a bar around St.Louis that served a "nightmare burger" along those lines.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 06:50:16 pm »
It's actually an extra Large burger with Tai chili pepper oil and jalapenos for flavoring and heat with bacon, cheddar cheese and all the fixins' served with home fries.

I'm telling you it is awesome. I actually make a point to go there every time we travel to Montana not to mention the fact that I really enjoy The Lewis and Clarke Brewery beers. Plus Helena is a beautiful town filled with a rich heritage.
Ron Price

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 06:59:13 pm »
Hey Denny, why are you recipe teasing us?   ;)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 08:13:24 pm »
It's a bowl of runny cambembert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3KBuQHHKx0

Offline bobh

• 1st Kit
    • Dry Wolf Brewing co.
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 01:40:17 pm »
Is that the Brewhouse Pub & Grille? 

Yes, it is the Brewhouse Pub and Grill in Helena! I'll have to try the Afterburner Burger next time I'm there.  Their Prime Rib is actually very good too and not a bad deal pricewise if I remember right. I think they are expanding which will hiopefully get there beers a little wider distribution. Even only an hour north here in Great Falls, you don't see their beers very much and I often forget about them. Their Yellowstone beer is a good Kolsch ale too if I recall.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 08:57:10 pm »
Isn't there anybody from Wisconsin here?

yeah.
I just brew beer. I do not cook.
When I cook nobody wants to eat it.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline dannyj621

• Cellarman
  • humble beginnings
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 07:40:02 pm »
okay this is for beerocd as requested.  This soup is a first place winner in several soup comps so enjoy!!

Beer Cheese Soup

2 white onions
2 carrots
2 bell peppers
6 garlic cloves minced
salt and pep to taste
1tbsppaprika
fresh oregano
fresh basil
8oz flour
8oz butter
6 bottles of boston lager thats what i use but use whatever you want
1lb grated smoked chedder
1/4lb grated hot pep cheese
1lb white chedder
1/2lb old bay chedder (if you can find it if not add more white chedder)
1 qt heavy cream
1 qt chicken stock(to much and you will ruin the flavor)

add your butter to a pot and melt saute the onion,carrot and pepper till the onion is clear add the garlic and satue be carful not to burn the garlic! Add the flour and make your roux make sure you dont scorch so do it at a medium heat continue to stir and make sure that the roux gets nice and dark.  If you want you can make your roux prior to doing all this and let it sit on low heat till its super dark.  Deglaze with your beer always use nice fragrant beers.   Continue to stir on low heat till almost dry add your stock and let it. Whisk to get all the lumps of roux out bring to a boil and add your cheese.  Stir and let it melt in make sure you dont burn it once it comes to a simmer add your cream.  Let it simmer for a while add seasonings to taste make sure it tastes the way you want.  This is essentially a bechemel sauce which is a french white butter sauce that you can turn into anything you want.  ENJOY!

for a fun twist on the bar classic pretzels and beer find any basic recipe for soft pretzels and make the dough roll out to about one inch nuggets to make soft pretzel floaters for the soup def a crowd pleaser!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 07:53:05 pm by dannyj621 »
when in rome we shall do as the romans.  When in hell we'll take shots at the bar