The following beer recipe is from the book Modern Homebrew Recipes by Gordon Strong:
I was a guest speaker at the Australian National Homebrew Conference in 2010. After telling me all about their great new Galaxy hops, the next thing people wanted to do was ben my ear over this style of beer, and demand that it be added to the BJCP style guidelines. It is finally in the 2015 edition, and I’m glad I had firsthand experience tasting the style fresh. It is certainly a different beer by the time it gets shipped to the other side of the world; it loses much of the yeast character and bright flavors, and often develops caramel oxidation.
The beer is highly attenuated and yeast-driven. Most flavors are fairly moderate. The hops can have an iron-like quality to them, and the grain can be coarse or grainy. The high carbonation and attenuation makes this a thirst-quenching beer. It shouldn’t have a caramel flavor (if it does, it’s likely from oxidation).
- 2 lb (907 g) US six-row (Briess) – Mash
- 2 lb (907 g) UK Golden Promise (Simpsons) – Mash
- 2 lb (907 g) German Pilsner malt (Durst) – Mash
- 2 lb (907 g) US two-row malt (Briess) – Mash
- 6 oz (170 g) Belgian Caravienne (Dingemans) – Vorlauf
- 1 oz (28 g) Carafa III Special (Weyermann) – Vorlauf
- 2 lb (907 g) White table sugar or corn sugar – Boil
- 1 oz (28 g) Pride of Ringwood 9% pellets – First Wort Hop
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Pride of Ringwood 9% pellets – 0 min
- White Labs WLP009 Australian Ale yeast
Yield: 6.5 gallons (25 L)
Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.005
Water treatment: Untreated RO water for the mash with 1 tsp CaSO4 and 0.5 tsp CaCl2. Sparge water is RO water trated with 0.25 tsp 10% phosphoric acid per 5 gallons.
Mash technique: Step mash, mash out, dark and crustal malts added at vorlauf.
Mash rests: 144°F (62°C) 60 minutes. 158°F (70°C) 10 minutes. 168°F (76°C) 15 minutes.
Kettle volume: 8.5 gallons (32 L)
Boil length: 90 minutes
Final volume: 6.5 gallons (25 L)
Fermentation temp: starts at 68°F (20°C) and let rise to 72°F (22°C) after 4 days.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.