Yield: 5 gallons (18/83 L)
Battre L'oie Saison is one of three Big Brew 2017 official recipes. To view all official recipes, or to find a Big Brew event near you, visit the Big Brew for National Homebrew Day webpage. You can also view the all-grain version of this homebrew recipe.
The following is an excerpt from John Palmer's newly updated book How to Brew:
"The overall character of the beer is a dry, grainy malt character, firm bitterness and mineral structure, with lots of aromatics coming from the yeast. Saison is a good base for adding spices or fruit, but these are variations on the style; normally these flavors and aromas come from the saison yeast."
- Wort A: 3 lb. (1.4 kg) wheat dry malt extract
- Wort B: 3 lb. (1.4 kg) wheat dry malt extract – added at knockout
- 1.0 oz. (28 g) Aramis pellet hops, 7% a.a. (60 min.)
- 1.0 oz. (28 g) Barbe Rouge pellet hops, 8.5% a.a. (steep for 15 min. after flame-out)
- *Suggested Aramis hop substitutions: Willamette, Challenger
- *Suggested Barbe Rouge hop substitutions: Amarillo, Citra, Centennial
- Belgian saison yeast with sufficient yeast starter (200 billion cells)
- 0.75 tsp. (3 g) Irish moss added 15 minutes before end of the boil (optional)
- Recommended water profile, PPM (optional):
- Ca: 75–125
- Mg: 10
- Total alkalinity: 0–50
- SO4: 100–150
- Cl: 100–150
- RA: −100–0
Original Gravity: 1.049 (12.2° P)
FG: 1.007 (1.8° P)
Boil Time: 60 minutes
- Put 2 gal. (7.6 L) of water in the boil pot and heat to 160° F (71° C). Add Wort A (3 lb wheat DME) to the water and stir until totally dissolved. Top off with water until you reach 3 gal. of wort.
- Bring to a rolling boil for 60 minutes, adding hops at specified intervals from end of boil. Add Wort B (3 lb wheat DME) at knockout (0 min) until totally dissolved.
- Strain wort into sanitized fermentation vessel with 2–3 gal. (7.6-11.4 L) of pre-boiled, chilled water for a total volume of 5 gal. (18.9 L).
- Pitch yeast when temperature reaches 62° F (17° C).
- Ferment in primary at 62° F (17° C) until fermentation slows significantly (7–9 days).
- Rack to secondary fermenter and age for 10–14 days at 68° F (20° C).
- Keg at 2.5 volumes (5 g/L) of CO₂ or bottle condition with 4 oz. (113 g) corn sugar.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $3.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $3.99 a month.