Yield: 5 gallons (18.93 L)
Battre L’oie Saison is one of three Big Brew 2017 official homebrew recipes. To view all official recipes, or to find a Big Brew event near you, visit the Big Brew for National Homebrew Day webpage. You can also view the extract version of this homebrew recipe.
The following is an excerpt from John Palmer’s newly updated book How to Brew:
“The overall character of the beer is a dry, grainy malt character, firm bitterness and mineral structure, with lots of aromatics coming from the yeast. Saison is a good base for adding spices or fruit, but these are variations on the style; normally these flavors and aromas come from the saison yeast.”
- 6.6 lb. (3 kg) Pilsner malt
- 1.1 lb. (0.5 kg) Vienna malt
- 1.1 lb. (0.5 kg) wheat malt
- 1.1 lb. (0.5 kg) white table sugar, added at flame-out
- 1.0 oz. (28 g) Aramis* pellet hops, 7% a.a. (60 min.)
- 1.0 oz. (28 g) Barbe Rouge** pellet hops, 8.5% a.a. (steep for 15 min. after flame-out)
- *Suggested Aramis hop substitutions: Willamette, Challenger
- **Suggested Barbe Rouge hop substitutions: Amarillo, Citra, Centennial
- Belgian saison yeast with sufficient yeast starter (200 billion cells)
- 0.75 tsp. (3 g) Irish moss added 15 minutes before end of the boil (optional)
- Recommended water profile, PPM (optional):
- Ca: 75–125
- Mg: 10
- Total alkalinity: 0–50
- SO4: 100–150
- Cl: 100–150
- RA: −100–0
Original Gravity: 1.049 (12.2* P)
FG: 1.007 (1.8* P)
Boil Time: 60 minutes
- Mash grains at 153° F (67° C) for 60 minutes.
- Mash out at 168° F (76° C), with pre-boil wort volume of 7 gal. (26.5 L).
- Bring to a rolling boil for 60 minutes, adding hops at specified intervals from end of boil.
- Chill wort to 62° F (17° C) and pitch yeast.
- Ferment in primary at 62° F (17° C) until fermentation slows significantly (7–9 days).
- Rack to secondary fermenter and age for 10–14 days at 65° F (18° C).
- Keg at 2.5 volumes (5 g/L) of CO₂ or bottle condition with 4 oz. (113 g) corn sugar.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $3.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $3.99 a month.