Yield: 10 gallons (37.8 L)
This recipe comes courtesy of the American Homebrewers Association staff brew-team, the Brew Tang Clan.
In true Halloween fashion, the Brew Tang Clan took one of Charlie Papazian’s pumpkin beer recipes and twisted it into their own Frankenstien-esque creation. The end result, dubbed “Punkin Head,” is a dark ale with a sweet malt backbone complemented by the pumpkin and spices.
- 16 lb (7.26 kg) | Vienna Malt, U.S. (4 °L)
- 4 lb ( 1.81 kg) | Rye Malt, U.S. (4 °L)
- 1 lb (0.45 kg) | Dark Crystal (155-165 °L)
- 1 lb (0.45 kg) | Crystal 75L, UK (75 °L)
- 2 lb (0.91 kg) | Rice Hulls
- 9 lb (4.1 kg) | pie pumpkin, (see "Directions" for preperation instructions)
- 0.305 oz (8.6 g) | Horizon pellets, 13.1% AA (90 minutes)
- 0.505 oz (8.6 g) | New Zealand Motueka pellets, 6.6% AA (75 minutes)
- 0.13 oz (3.7 g) | Irish Moss (15 minutes)
- 2 tsp | Cinnamon (10 minutes)
- 2 | vanilla beans, chopped or serrated (10 minutes)
- 1 tsp | nutmeg, freshly ground (10 minutes
- 1 oz (28.3 g) | fresh sliced ginger root
- 1.505 oz (42.7 g) | Liberty pellet, 4.5% AA (0 minutes)
- White Labs WLP002 English Ale
Original Gravity: 1.056
Boil Time: 90 minutes
- The pumpkin needs to be specially prepared for the mash. Four pie pumpkins with a total of about 9 lbs (4.1 kg) were halved and cleaned of seeds (roast your seeds for a bonus brewday snack!).
- The now exposed meat of the pumpkin was rubbed with brown sugar and placed meat-side down on a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 300°F (148.9°C) for a little over an hour or until the pumpkins have visibly finished “falling.”
- Scoop out the pulp and mash up if necessary, then add to the second step of the mash as noted below.
- Mash in grains for a protein rest at 122°F (50°C).
- After 30 minutes, raise temperature to 155°F (68.3°C), add the prepared pumpkin and hold for 60 minutes.
- Mash out at 165°F (73.9°C) for 10 minutes.
- After completeing the mash, proceed to boil following the schedule as noted under the ingredients.
- Ferment at 68°F (20°C) and carbonate after approximately four weeks.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $3.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $3.99 a month.