Yield: 5 U.S. gallons (19 L)
The following beer recipe is featured in the November/December 2007 issue of Zymurgy magazine. Access this issue along with the archives with Zymurgy Online!
Amahl Turczyn created this recipe based off of Mountain Sun Pub & Brewery's (Boulder, CO) chocolate stout; a staple during their annual Stout Month celebration every February. Expect lots of sweet chocolaty notes from the additions of lactose, dark and sweet chocolates.
- 8.87 lb. (4 kg) two-row pale malt
- 0.81 lb. (367 g) black barley malt
- 0.81 lb. (367 g) Briess Bonlander Munich malt
- 0.56 lb. (254 g) caramel Vienna malt
- 0.48 lb. (218 g) brown malt
- 0.48 lb. (218 g) Victory malt
- 0.32 lb. (145 g) wheat malt
- 0.24 lb. (109 g) chocolate malt
- 0.24 lb. (109 g) chocolate rye malt
- 0.89 lb. (404 g) lactose in kettle, pre-lauter
- 0.53 lb. (240 g) Callebaut milk chocolate, chopped (steep)
- 0.18 lb. (82 g) Callebaut dark chocolate, chopped (steep)
- 0.65 oz. (18 g) Hallertau pellet hops (60 min)
- 0.52 oz. (15 g) Liberty pellet hops (steep)
- Mountain Sun ale yeast or American/California ale yeast
Original Gravity: 1.072
Mash grains at 154°F (68°C) for 60 minutes. Add lactose to kettle before running clear wort into the kettle. 90 minute boil. Coarsely chop chocolate and add to wort after boil is complete. Note: the listed original gravity was taken before the chocolate is added.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.