In 2011, Colorado’s first brewpub, Wynkoop Brewing Company, teamed up with the American Homebrewers Association to create a dream collaboration beer appropriately named Collective Hoppiness. Quite literally a collective effort, Wynkoop hosted a rally in which the brew’s hop additions were continuously added over a 90-minute period by local members of the AHA and 210 members who participated in the hopping of the beer.
Wynkoop describes the beer as “an unctuous imperial red ale made with premium two-row base malt, small amounts of rye, aromatic malts and flaked oats, and five kinds of hops (Summit, Cascade, Sorachi Ace, Amarillo, and Columbus). All fermented with an English ale yeast. Ultra hoppy from start to finish, the beer finished at 8% ABV and has approximately 100 IBUs.” We couldn’t help but think that a bunch of hop-lovin’ homebrewers would want the opportunity to brew this hoppy masterpiece, so we’ve scaled it down to a 5-gallon batch for our members’ brewing enjoyment. This recipe was featured in the 2012 May/June Zymurgy courtesy of Brad Landman at Wynkoop Brewing.
Collective Hoppiness | Imperial IPA
- 12.5 lb. (3 kg) Rahr premium two-row pale malt
- 2.0 lb. (0.9 kg) Weyermann CaraRye® malt
- 6.5 oz. (184 g) Flaked oats
- 6.5 oz. (184 g) Simpsons aromatic malt
- 3.3 oz. (94 g) Crisp dark chocolate malt
- 1.0 oz. (28 g) Columbus, 14.4% a.a. (60 min)
- 1.0 oz. (28 g) Columbus, 141.4% a.a. (30 min)
- 0.75 oz. (21 g) Summit, 18.5% a.a. (20 min)
- 1.0 oz. (28 g) Summit, 18.5% a.a. (10 min)
- 0.25 oz. (7 g ) Amarillo, 8.5% a.a. (6 min)
- 1.0 oz. (28 g) Sorachi Ace, 14.9% a.a. (3 min)
- 1.0 oz. (28 g) Cascade (dry)
- British ale yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.083
- IBU: 120+ (estimated)
- SRM: 19.5 (estimated)
- Boil Time: 60 minutes
- Efficiency: 75%
Mash grains at 153° F (67° C) for 60 minutes. Hops can be boiled as traditional one-time additions or added continuously according to the following schedule: 2 oz. Colombus from 60–30 minutes; 1.75 oz. Summit from 30–10 minutes; 0.25 oz. Amarillo from 10–5 minutes; 1 oz. Sorachi Ace from 5–0 minutes; and the dry hop addition of 1 oz. Cascade in secondary.
Use 9.45 lb. (4.29 kg) pale malt extract, 1.5 lb. (0.68 kg) Weyermann CaraRye® malt, 2.5 oz. (71 g) Crisp dark chocolate malt, and 7.0 oz. (198 g) Weyermann CaraVienne® malt. Steep grains for 20 minutes in 150–160° F (66–71° C) water; strain, rinse, add extract, and proceed with boil.