After experiencing 3 Floyds Zombie Dust during a local bottle share and realizing the American pale ale isn’t distributed in his home-state of Texas, homebrewer Clifton Ellis set out to create his own version of this “liquid euphoric experience,” as he recalls it.
Using clone recipes found online and adding his own twists, Ellis brewed up his Zombie Dust-inspired American pale ale and entered it into the 2016 Blue Bonnet Brew-Off competition. Ellis’s recipe earned a gold medal, qualifying him for the Great American Beer Festival Pro-Am competition which he entered with Panther Island Brewing (Fort Worth, TX).
The winning streak continued, with Ellis and Panther Island bringing home gold in the prestigious 2016 GABF Pro-Am competition. Learn more about this recipe and the GABF Pro-Am in the article “GABF Pro-Am Competition” by Denny Conn, featured in the January/February 2017 issue of Zymurgy magazine
Just Rye’te | American Pale Ale
- 17 lb (7.71 kg) American pale 2-row malt
- 2 lb (0.9 kg) flaked rye
- 1.8 lb (816 g) Caravienne malt
- 10 oz (293 g) 40°L crystal malt
- 1 oz (28 g) Citra, 13% a.a., first wort hop
- 0.25 oz (7 g) Magnum, 13% a.a. @ 60 minutes
- 1 oz (28 g) Citra, 13% @ 15 minutes
- 1 oz (28 g) Citra, 13% a.a. @ 10 minutes
- 1.5 oz (43 g) Citra, 13% a.a. @ 5 minutes
- 2 oz (57 g) Citra, 13% a.a. @ flameout
- 6 oz (170 g) Citra 13% a.a., dry hop 5 to 7 days
- Wyeast 1272 American Ale II, 10-15 million cells per mL
- ADDITIONAL ITEMS
- 2 lb orange blossom honey at flameout*
- Original Gravity: 1.060 (11.6° P)
- Final Gravity: 1.011 (2.1° P)
- ABV: 6.5%
- IBU: 50
- SRM: 6
- Boil Time: 60 minutes
Conduct a 150° F (66° C) single infusion mash with 1.5 qt./lb. mash thickness for 60 minutes. Boil time is 60 minutes. Ferment at 68° F (20° C). Ramp to 70-72° F (21-22° C) towards end of primary ferment. Transfer to secondary and dry hop at 70-72° F for 5 to 7 days (or until desired level of dry hop is met).
*If desired, honey may be added 2 days into primary fermentation instead of at flameout.
Substitute all but 3 pounds (1.36 kg) of the pale 2-row for 10.75 lb (4.88 kg) pale liquid malt extract. Mash 3 lb pale 2-row, flaked rye, Caravienne, and crystal malt together at 152° F (67° C) with reverse osmosis water for 45 minutes or until complete conversion. Recirculate and lauter mini-mash, and dissolve 10.75 lb extract syrup completely into resulting wort. Continue sparging to top up to desired boil volume and proceed as above. Partial-mash version may be slightly darker than all-grain version.