Yield: 5 gallons (18.93 L)
Klang Freudenfest Oktoberfest Lager is one of three Big Brew 2017 official recipes. To view all official recipes, or to find a Big Brew event near you, visit the Big Brew for National Homebrew Day webpage. You can also view the all-grain version of this homebrew recipe.
The following is an excerpt from John Palmer's newly updated book How to Brew:
"The original Oktoberfest celebrated the royal wedding of Crown Prince Ludwig I and Princess Therese in 1810, and they have been celebrating ever since (some beers are worth it). The hallmark of the Oktoberfest/Märzen style is a rich maltiness but high attenuation to make it less filling. If you plan to polka for 12 hours straight, then this is your beer."
- Wort A: 3.3 lb. (1.6 kg) Vienna light malt extract
- Wort A: 1 lb. (0.5 kg) aromatic Munich 20° L malt, steeped
- Wort A: 0.33 lb. (150 g) CaraVienne malt, steeped
- Wort B: 3.5 lb. (1.6 kg) Munich dry malt extract – added at knockout
- 1.0 oz. (28 g) German Tradition pellet hops, 6% a.a. (60 min)
- 1.0 oz. (28 g) German Tettnanger pellet hops, 4% a.a (20 min)
- German lager yeast with sufficient yeast starter (465 billion cells)
- 0.75 tsp. (3 g) Irish moss added 15 minutes before end of the boil (optional)
- Recommended water profile, PPM (optional):
- Ca: 75–125
- Mg: 10
- Total alkalinity: 100–150
- SO4: 50–100
- Cl: 100–150
- RA: 0–50
Original Gravity: 1.055 (13.6° P)
Final Gravity: 1.013 (3.3° P)
Boil Time: 60 minutes
- Put 2 gal. (7.6 L) of water in the boil pot and heat to 160°F (71°C). While the water is heating, put the Wort A specialty grains (Munich and CaraVienne malts) into a grain bag and tie off the ends so the grains can’t escape.
- Once the water has reached 150–170° F (66–77° C), immerse the grain bag in the water for 30 minutes. For more information on steeping specialty grains, visit Let’s Brew on the AHA website.
- After 30 minutes, remove the grain bag and let it drip until it stops. Add the rest of Wort A (Vienna LME) to the water and stir until totally dissolved.
- Bring to a rolling boil for 60 minutes, adding hops at specified intervals from end of boil. Add Wort B (3.5 lb Munich DME) at knockout (0 min) until totally dissolved.
- Strain wort into sanitized fermentation vessel with 2–3 gal. (7.6–11.4 L) of pre-boiled, chilled water for a total volume of 5 gal. (18.9 L).
- Chill wort and pitch yeast when temperature reaches 52° F (11° C), leaving it in primary fermentation for 14–20 days at 52° F (11° C).
- Hold a diacetyl rest for three days at 57–59° F (14–15° C).
- Gradually lower to 48° F (9° C) and hold for 8 days.
- Gradually lower to 33° F (1° C) and hold another 16 days.
- Keg at 2.5 volumes (5 g/L) of CO₂ or bottle condition with 4 oz. (113 g) corn sugar.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.