Klang Freudenfest Oktoberfest Lager is one of three Big Brew 2017 official recipes. To view all official recipes, or to find a Big Brew event near you, visit the Big Brew for National Homebrew Day webpage. You can also view the extract version of this homebrew recipe.
The following is an excerpt from John Palmer’s newly updated book How to Brew:
“The original Oktoberfest celebrated the royal wedding of Crown Prince Ludwig I and Princess Therese in 1810, and they have been celebrating ever since (some beers are worth it). The hallmark of the Oktoberfest/Märzen style is a rich maltiness but high attenuation to make it less filling. If you plan to polka for 12 hours straight, then this is your beer.”
Klang Freudenfest Oktoberfest (All-Grain) | Oktoberfest/Märzen
- 3.5 lb. (1.6 kg) Pilsner malt
- 3.5 lb. (1.6 kg) Munich malt
- 4 lb. (1.8 kg) Vienna malt
- 1 lb. (0.5 kg) aromatic Munich 20° L malt
- 0.33 lb. (150 g) CaraVienne malt
- 1.0 oz. (28 g) German Tradition pellet hops, 6% a.a. (60 min)
- 1.0 oz. (28 g) German Tettnanger pellet hops, 4% a.a (20 min)
- German lager yeast with sufficient yeast starter (465 billion cells)
- 0.75 tsp. (3 g) Irish moss added 15 minutes before end of the boil (optional)
- Recommended water profile, PPM (optional):
- Ca: 75–125
- Mg: 10
- Total alkalinity: 100–150
- SO4: 50–100
- Cl: 100–150
- RA: 0–50
- Original Gravity: 1.055 (13.6° P)
- Final Gravity: 1.013 (3.3° P)
- ABV: 5.6%
- IBU: 27
- SRM: 9
- Boil Time: 60 minutes
- Pre-boil Volume: 7 gal. (26.5 L)
- Pre-boil Gravity: 1.048 (11.9° P)
- Mash in at 129° F (54° C) for 5 minutes.
- Ramp to 150° F (63° C) and hold for 30 minutes.
- Run a single decoction mash: remove 40% of the grain and heat it separately to 158–162° F (70–72° C) for 15 minutes, then bring to a boil for 5–10 minutes and return to the mash.
- Mash out at 167° F (75° C) for 5–10 minutes.
- Bring to a rolling boil for 60 minutes, adding hops at specified intervals from end of boil.
- Ferment in primary for 14–20 days at 52° F (11° C).
- Hold a diacetyl rest for three days at 57–59° F (14–15° C).
- Gradually lower to 48° F (9° C) and hold for 8 days.
- Gradually lower to 33° F (1° C) and hold another 16 days.
- Keg at 2.5 volumes 5 (g/L) of CO₂ or bottle condition with 4 oz. (113 g) corn sugar.