The following beer recipe is featured in the November/December 2007 issue of Zymurgy magazine. Access this issue along with the archives with Zymurgy Online!
This creamy stout recipe from Amahl Turczyn is a clone of Mountain Sun Brewery’s Korova Cream stout. The Boulder, Colorado-based brewery is known for its annual Stout Month, typically in February. Korova cream features Fuggle hops and lactose to compliment the bold malt flavors.
- 7.98 lb (3.62 kg) Maris Otter pale malt
- 0.56 lb (254 g) Castle Munich malt
- 0.56 lb (254 g) chocolate malt
- 0.32 lb (145 g) 120L crystal malt
- 0.32 lb (145 g) Victory malt
- 0.32 lb (145 g) dextrin malt
- 0.24 lb (109 g) black malt
- 0.24 lb (109 g) roast barley
- 0.81 lb (367 g) lactose in kettle, prelauter
- 1.42 oz (40 g) Fuggle pellet hops (90 min.)
- 0.45 oz (13 g) Fuggle pellet hops (60 min.)
- 0.39 oz (11 g) Fuggle pellet hops (steep)
- Mountain Sun ale yeast or American/California ale yeast
Yield: 5 US gal
Original Gravity: 1.063
Mash grains at 154 °F (68 °C) for 60 minutes. Add lactose to kettle before running clear wort into the kettle.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.