Majestic Sea Cow, an American pale ale, earned James Zorn and his brew team the title of champion in the 2019 Capitol Hill Staff Homebrew Competition hosted by the American Homebrewers Association.
Zorn shared the following on his blog about the beer:
Earlier this year, I joined a great new group of coworkers on Capitol Hill. Within weeks, we had made plans to enter into the Capitol Hill Home-brew Competition, but weren't sure what to brew. In true democratic fashion, we setup to do an extensive tasting of styles to choose one that truly represents the people - or at least the handful of us in the office. While not unanimous, the group enjoyed citrusy new american hops and session strength. The natural choice was obvious - American Pale Ale.
But what to call this concoction? In a stroke of genius, we combined our Florida district connection (Manatees) with our committee assignments (Space) and voila The Majestic Sea Cow - Galaxy Hopped Pale Ale!
Michigan-based artist Sloe Gin Gizz (aka Nicole Ray) lent her "Space Manatee" illustration as the label.
- 21 lb. (9.53 kg) Crisp Maris Otter
- 2 lb. (907 g) German Vienna malt
- 8 oz. (227 g) Weyermann Carahell
- 8 oz. (227 g) 40°L crystal malt
- 4 oz. (113 g) Dingemans Biscuit malt
- 1 oz. (28 g) Galena hops, 14.1% a.a. (first wort hop)
- 1.5 oz. (43 g) Galaxy hops, 14% a.a. (10 min)
- 1.5 oz. (43 g) Amarillo hops, 12% a.a. (5 min)
- 1.5 oz. (43 g) Galaxy hops, 14% a.a. (whirlpool)
- 1 oz. (28 g) Amarillo hops, 12% a.a. (whirlpool)
- 0.5 oz. (14 g) Mosaic hops, 12.5% a.a. (whirlpool)
- 1.5 oz. (43 g) Galaxy hops, 14% a.a. (dry hop)
- 1.5 oz. (43 g) Mosaic hops, 12.5% a.a. (dry hop)
- White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast (2 L starter)
- Yeast nutrient
- Irish moss
Yield: 12 gal. (45.4 L)
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.012
Replace Maris Otter and Vienna malts with 15 lb. (6.8 kg) Maris Otter liquid malt extract and 1 lb. (454 g) Briess CBW Goldpils Vienna liquid malt extract. Steep the remaining malts for 30 minutes at 150°F (66°C). Remove malts and dissolve extracts completely in the wort. Bring to a boil and proceed as above.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.