The following beer recipe is featured in the November/December 2021 issue of Zymurgy magazine. Access this issue along with the archives with Zymurgy Online!
Recipe courtesy of Maui Brewing Co., Kihei, Hawaii.
Maui Brewing Co.’s Imperial Coconut Porter won a gold medal at the 2016 Great American Beer Festival in the Field Beer category. A deeper, more intense version of the brewery’s flagship Coconut Hiwa Porter, Imperial Coconut Porter is brewed with hand-toasted coconut and offers subtle hints of cacao and coffee. The rich, slightly sweet, and malty ale pours with a dark tan head and drinks with a silky smooth yet warming finish.
- MALTS & ADJUNCTS
- 8.5 lb. (3.86 kg) pale malt
- 3.0 lb. (1.36 kg) Golden Promise malt
- 1.5 lb. (680 g) Munich malt
- 12.8 oz. (363 g) Simpsons Chocolate malt
- 11.2 oz. (318 g) rolled oats
- 9.6 oz. (272 g) crystal malt, 77°L
- 8.0 oz. (227 g) Weyermann Caramunich Type II malt
- 8.0 oz. (227 g) brown malt
- 8.0 oz. (227 g) caramel malt, 120°L
- 8.0 oz. (227 g) cane sugar @ 20 min
- 0.5 oz. (14 g) Cascade, 6.2% a.a. @ 90 min
- 1.0 oz. (28 g) Cascade, 8.0% a.a. @ 20 min
- Chico ale yeast
- ADDITIONAL ITEMS
- 2 lb. (907 g) toasted coconut, secondary
Yield: 5 US gal
Original Gravity: 1.087 (21.0°P)
Final Gravity: 1.019 (4.8°P)
Mash grains 60 min at 152°F (67°C). Boil 90 min, adding hops and cane sugar as indicated. Ferment at 65°F (18°C) until final gravity is reached. Rack to secondary and add toasted coconut. Allow to condition 7 days before bottling or kegging.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.