This beer recipe is featured in the July/August 2015 issue of Zymurgy magazine. Join the American Homebrewers Association or start your 30-day free trial to access the Zymurgy digital archive and other exclusive member benefits!
This extra special recipe, courtesy of Gravity Brewing in Louisville, Colo., is a delicious ESB that’s a perfect levity for thawing out after all those dark winter brews. Go more in depth into evaluation for this beer by reading “The Path to Cloning” by Amahl Turczyn (Zymurgy, Jul/Aug 2015) for tips and tricks for brewing your favorite craft beer.
Newtonian ESB | Extra Special/Strong Bitter
- 9 lb. (4.08 kg) Maris Otter pale malt (3 SRM) 81.1%
- 1 lb. (454 g) caramel/crystal malt (77 SRM) 9%
- 1 lb. (454 g) Weyermann® Cara-Red malt (20 SRM) 9%
- 1.5 oz. (42 g) black patent malt (500 SRM) 0.8%
- 0.5 oz. (14 g) Zythos, 14% a.a., boil 60 min, 21 IBUs
- 1 oz. (28 g) East Kent Goldings, 5% a.a., boil 20 min, 9.1 IBUs
- 1 oz. (28 g) East Kent Goldings, 5% a.a., boil 5 min, 3 IBUs
- 1 oz. (28 g) East Kent Goldings, 5% a.a., steep/whirlpool, 5 min, 1.5 IBUs
- London ESB ale yeast (Wyeast Labs 1968) 1 L starter
- Original Gravity: 1.058
- Final Gravity: 1.014
- ABV: 5.7%
- IBU: 35
- SRM: 13
- Boil Time: 90 minutes
- Mash: single infusion, light body, no mash out
- Water: North Denver tap water
- Efficiency: 77%
- Mash pH: 5.2
- Step 1: 154°F (68°C), 75 min
- Sparge: Fly sparge with 7.24 gal water at 168° F (76° C)
Ferment at 68°F (20°C) for 4–7 days. Diacetyl rest at 70°F (21°C) for 2 days. Condition at 35°F (2°C) for 14 days.
Partial Extract Version
Substitute 7 lb., 6 oz. (3.35 kg) Maris Otter malt extract syrup for the pale malt. Steep crystal, black, and cara malts in 158°F (70°C) water for 30 minutes. Drain, rinse grains, and dissolve extract completely.