Yield: Oceania: 11 US gal (60.6 L), Homegrown: 5 US gal (18.9 L)
The following beer recipe is featured in the May/June 2021 issue of Zymurgy magazine. Access this issue along with the archives with Zymurgy Online!
J.B. Zorn shares this recipe in the article “Return On Investment for the Homebrewer: Getting the Best Value out of Your Homebrewery.” The goal of this recipe was to make more beer with less money.
This beer recipe yields two beers: 11 gal. (60.6 L) of Oceania IPA and 5 gal. (18.9) L of Homegrown IPA. The two are mashed from a single grist and boiled as a single wort. After the boil, divide the wort into the two volumes, add whirlpool hops as indicated, and ferment as two separate beers.
- MALTS & ADJUNCTS
- 26 lb. (11.79 kg) 2-row pale malt
- 3 lb. (1.36 kg) wheat malt
- 1 lb. (454 g) Dingemans Biscuit malt
- 12 oz. (340 g) honey malt
- 8 oz. (227 g) 40L crystal malt
- 8 oz. (227 g) 65L crystal malt
- 2 lb. (907 g) clover honey
- 1 oz. (28 g) AU Galaxy, 13.3% a.a. @ 90 min
- 1.5 oz. (43 g) AU Galaxy, 13.3% a.a. @ 20 min
- 2 oz. (57 g) AU Galaxy, 13.3% a.a., whirlpool 5 min in Oceania IPA
- 2 oz. (57 g) AU Vic Secret, 19.6% a.a., whirlpool 5 min in Oceania IPA
- 2 oz. (57 g) AU Enigma, 17.5% a.a., whirlpool 5 in Oceania IPA
- 2 oz. (57 g) AU Ella, 18.1% a.a., whirlpool 5 min in Oceania IPA
- 3.5 oz. (113 g) homegrown hops, whirlpool 5 min after boil but before cooling in Homegrown IPA
- 2 oz. (57 g) AU Galaxy, 13.3% a.a., dry hop 10 days in Oceania IPA
- 1 oz. (28 g) AU Enigma, 17.5% a.a., dry hop 10 days in Oceania IPA
- 1.5 oz. (113 g) homegrown hops, dry hop 10 days in Homegrown IPA
- Filtered water with 2 tsp. CaSO₄ and 2 tsp CaCL₂
- White Labs WLP051 California V Ale Yeast (2L starter)
- ADDITIONAL ITEMS
- yeast nutrient
- Irish moss
Original Gravity: 1.058 (14.4°P)
Final Gravity: 1.012 (3.1°P)
Heat 11.2 gal. (45.4 L) strike water to 166°F (74°C) and mash in grains for a mash thickness of 1.33 qt./lb. (2.8 L/kg), targeting a mash pH of 5.3. Mash for 60 minutes at 153°F (67°C) and then 15 minutes at 165°F (74°C).
Boil 90 minutes, adding kettle hops as indicated. After boil, divide into 11-gal. and 5-gal. worts and add whirlpool hops as indicated. Chill and rack to two fermenters. Ferment at 68°F (20°C) until specific gravity stabilizes at or near indicated final gravity.
Add dry hops to the two fermenters 10 days before bottling or kegging as indicated.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.