Yield: 5 gallons (18.9 L)
The official Big Brew 2020 recipe comes from Jackalope Brewing Co, which will brew Pangaea Proxima Polar IPA as the official commemorative beer for Homebrew Con, to be held June 18–20, 2020, in Nashville, Tenn. Given that homebrewers from all over the globe will be brewing a version of this beer on May 2, the recipe features ingredients that truly fit the theme of Big Brew.
“We want to use ingredients from all over the world to brew this beer. We decided to use the kveik yeast because what a dream that is for a homebrewer,” said Bailey Spaulding, who is a cofounder of Jackalope and will deliver the Keynote Address at Homebrew Con. “Then we landed on using New Zealand hops for the beer,” she continued, “so the yeast is from an area of the world near the North Pole, and the hops are from an area near the South Pole.”
The beer is named after Pangaea Proxima, which is a theorized future supercontinent that would form 300 million years in the future. “We thought it fit the idea well. Also, we really like the idea of bringing people from around the world together in a time when we are all so separate.”
- 8.5 lb. (3.9 kg) Simpsons Maris Otter malt
- 2.5 lb. (1.1 kg) Weyermann Pilsner malt
- 1.4 lb. (635 g) Weyermann Carafoam malt
- 0.8 oz. (23 g) Southern Cross, 13% a.a. @ 60 min
- 0.5 oz. (14 g) Moutere, 19% a.a. @ 15 min
- 0.75 oz. (21 g) Wai-iti, 3% a.a., whirlpool 15 min
- 0.25 oz. (7 g) Moutere, 19% a.a., whirlpool 15 min
- 1 oz. (28 g) Moutere, 19% a.a., dry hop 5 days
- 1 oz. (28 g) Taiheke, 7% a.a., dry hop 5 days
- 1 oz. (28 g) Wai-iti, 3% a.a., dry hop 5 days
- 1 packet Lallemand LalBrew Voss Kveik Ale Yeast
- ADDITIONAL ITEMS
- 1 Whirlfloc Tablet @ 15 min
- 2.2 g Beer Nutrient Blend @ 5 min
- For homebrewers unable to find the ingredients used in the recipe, please see the below list of alternative ingredients with similar flavor profiles that you can use. This list of alternative ingredients was provided by our friends at BSG HandCraft and Lallemand, the official sponsors of Big Brew.
- Yeast Substitutions for Lallemand LalBrew Voss Kveik Ale Yeast:
- Lallemand Nottingham - Ferment at 57°–70° F (14°–21° C)
- BRY-97 West Coast Ale - Ferment at 59°–72° F (15°–22° C)
- Hops Substitutions:
- For Southern Cross: Sorachi Ace, Chinook
- For Moutere: Ekuanot, Comet
- For Taiheke: Motueka, Cashmere
- For Wai-iti: Riwaka, Kohatu, Citra
Original Gravity: 1.064
Mash at 153° F (67° C) for 60 minutes. Boil 60 minutes, adding kettle hops, Whirlfloc, and yeast nutrient at indicated times. Ferment at 95–100°F (35–38°C) if using the LallBrew Voss Kviek Ale Yeast until terminal gravity is reached, or at the recommended fermentation temperature if using one of the alternative yeast options. Dry hop as indicated before bottling or kegging.
Replace malts with 6 lb. (2.7 kg) Maris Otter liquid malt extract and 2.5 lb. (1.1 kg) Pilsner liquid malt extract. Dissolve extracts in hot water, top up with additional water to desired boil volume, and proceed with
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $3.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $3.99 a month.