This classic Bavarian celebration lager is all about the malt. Noble hop flavor and aroma take a backseat in this clean, medium-bodied style that has a pleasant grainy sweetness. Brew up this great German lager now to enjoy it the spring.
- 4 pounds Alexander's pale malt extract
- 2 pounds American two-row pale malt
- 1 lb Vienna malt
- 1 lb dextrin malt
- 0.25 pound 40 ºL crystal malt
- 1 ounce Perle pellets, 6.2% AA (60 minutes)
- 0.5 ounce German Hallertau pellets, 4.7% AA (5 minutes)
- Wyeast No. 2206 Bavarian lager yeast
- 0.75 cup corn sugar (to prime)
Yield: 5 gallons (19 L)
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.017
Boil Time: 60 minutes
- Mash grains at 152 ºF for 60 minutes in 1.5 gallons of water. Sparge with 2 gallons of water at 170 ºF.
- Primary fermentation:7 days at 55 ºF in glass
- Secondary fermentation:7 days at 55 ºF in glass
- Tertiary fermentation:14 days at 37 ºF in glass
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.