Inspired by the Star Wars original trilogy, the Pop Culture Brews podcast crew set out on an intergalactic mission to create beer recipes inspired by episodes IV, V, and VI. See all three Star Wars-inspired beer recipes here.
For the final episode in the trilogy—Return of the Jedi (1983)—Pop Culture Brews cohost Andrew Sanders crafted a pale ale recipe reminiscent of Endor, the forest planet home to the furry and ferocious Ewoks.
Andrew wanted Return of the Jedi Pale Ale to have more piney and earthy hop notes to reflect the forest setting of the final battle between the Rebels and the evil Empire. As a result, Return of the Jedi Pale Ale uses the same grist as A New Hope Pale Ale, but changes the dry hop additions to Simcoe and Chinook for a more West Coast-style hop.
- 5.5 lb (2.5 kg) Pale malt (2-row)
- 3.0 lb (1.4 kg) Maris Otter malt
- 0.75 lb (0.34 kg) White Wheat malt
- 0.5 lb (0.23 kg) Carapils
- 0.5 lb (0.23 kg) Crystal 20L malt
- 0.25 lb (0.11 kg) Munich malt
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Citra hops, 12% a.a. (60 min)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Citra hops, 12% a.a. (20 min)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Citra hops, 12% a.a. (10 min)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Citra hops, 12% a.a. (5 min)
- 3.0 oz (85 g) Simcoe hops, 13% a.a. (dry hop)
- 3.0 oz (85 g) Chinook hops, 13% a.a. (dry hop)
- White Labs California Ale (WLP001)
Yield: 6 Gallons
Original Gravity: 1.042
Final Gravity: 1.007
Mash grains at 149°F (65°C) for 60 minutes. Mashout at 167°F (75°C) for 10 minutes.
Conduct a 60-minute boil, following the hop additions as listed in the ingredients. It is suggested to bag each hop addition so they can be removed.
Chill beer and pitch yeast at 65°F (18°C) or at the temperature called for by your preferred yeast.
Ferment at 65°F (18°C) for around 10 days. When primary fermentation is finished, add the dry hop additions for 5-7 days.
Note: this 6-gallon recipe assumes a loss of ~0.8 gallons.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.