Rushmore IPA is one of three Big Brew 2017 official recipes. To view all official recipes, or to find a Big Brew event near you, visit the Big Brew for National Homebrew Day webpage. You can also view the extract version of this homebrew recipe.
The following is an excerpt from John Palmer's newly updated book How to Brew:
"American IPA is all about hops; typically American 'C' hops such as, Chinook, Centennial and Cascade, but also the new Pacific varieties from New Zealand and Australia with their tropical fruit aromas. The Rushmore IPA recipe below is a West Coast IPA with just enough caramel and Munich malt to add complexity."
- 11 lb. (5.0 kg) pale ale malt
- 1 lb. (0.45 kg) Munich malt
- 0.5 lb. (0.23 kg) caramel 40°L malt
- 1.0 oz. (28 g) Nugget pellet hops, 13% a.a. (60 min.)
- 0.5 oz. (14 g) Cascade pellet hops, 6% a.a. (15 min.)
- 0.5 oz. (14 g) Amarillo pellet hops, 10% a.a. (15 min.)
- 0.5 oz. (14 g) Centennial pellet hops, 10.5% a.a. (15 min.)
- 0.5 oz. (14 g) Cascade pellet hops, 6% a.a. (0 min.)
- 0.5 oz. (14 g) Amarillo pellet hops, 10% a.a. (0 min.)
- 0.5 oz. (14 g) Centennial pellet hops, 10.5% a.a. (0 min.)
- 0.5 oz. (14 g) Cascade pellet hops, 6% a.a. (dry hop)
- 0.5 oz. (14 g) Amarillo pellet hops, 10% a.a. (dry hop)
- 0.5 oz. (14 g) Centennial pellet hops, 10.5% a.a. (dry hop)
- American ale yeast with a sufficient yeast starter (250 billion cells)
- 0.75 tsp. (3 g) Irish moss added 15 minutes before end of the boil (optional)
- Recommended water profile, PPM (optional):
- Ca: 100–150
- Mg: 10
- Total alkalinity: 0–50
- SO4: 200–400
- Cl: 50–100
- RA: −100–0
Yield: 5 gallons (18.93 L)
Original Gravity: 1.059 (14.5° P)
Final Gravity: 1.015 (3.8° P)
Boil Time: 60 minutes
- Mash grains at 153° F (67° C) for 60 minutes.
- Mash out at 168° F (76° C), with pre-boil wort volume of 7 gal. (26.5 L).
- Bring to a rolling boil for 60 minutes, adding hops at specified intervals from end of boil.
- Chill wort to 65° F (18° C) and pitch yeast.
- Ferment in primary at 65° F (18° C) until fermentation slows significantly (7–9 days).
- Rack to secondary fermenter and dry hop for no more than 10 days at 68° F (20° C).
- Keg at 2.5 volumes (5 g/L) of CO₂ or bottle condition with 4 oz. (113 g) corn sugar.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.