Yield: 5 Gallons (18.93 L)
With a beautiful red/amber color, Pagosa Brewing & Grill's "Shreddin' Red IPA" has an amazing hop punch and a great malt balance, making for an easy-drinking pint.
This red IPA uses high alpha hops like Columbus and Nugget and is balanced with two caramel/crystal malts to give a counterpoint of flavor. A subtle touch of black malt encourages a deep red color and crisp finish.
In short, we think this recipe has repeat brew written all over it.
- 7.0 lb (3.18 kg) two row malt
- 3.0 lb (1.36 kg) Vienna malt
- 12.0 oz (340 g) CaraMunich II malt
- 8.0 oz (226 g) 60° crystal malt
- 1.5 oz (42 g) dehusked black malt
- 0.5 oz (14 g) whole Columbus hops, 14.8% a.a (mash hops)
- 0.25 oz (7 g) Nugget hops, 13.3% a.a (first wort)
- 0.25 oz (7 g) Chinook hops, 13.0% a.a (90 min)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Nugget hops, 13.3% a.a (60 min)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Cascade hops, 7.6% a.a (15 min)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Northern Brewer hops, 8.1% a.a (10 min)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) whole Columbus hops, 14.8% a.a (whirlpool)
- 0.25 oz (7 g) whole Columbus hops (dry hop)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) whole Nugget hops (dry hop)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) whole Centennial hops (dry hop)
- White Labs WLP002 English Ale yeast
Original Gravity: 1.058
Mash grains at 152°F (67°C) for 45 minutes. Ferment at 68°F (20°C).
Directions for 5 Gallons (18.93 L):
Substitute 3.3 lb (1.49 kg) pale liquid malt extract and 3 lb (1.36 kg) light dry malt extract for the two-row and Vienna malts. Steep remaining grains at 156°F (69°C) water for 30 minutes with mash hops and first wort hops, strain, add malt extract, bring to boil and proceed with recipe above.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $3.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $3.99 a month.