The following beer recipe is featured in the November/December 2015 issue of Zymurgy magazine. Access this issue along with the archives with Zymurgy Online!
Recipe courtesy of Richard Hogg
This big Belgian quad recipe won Richard Hogg ‘Best of Show’ at the 2015 Dominion Cup in Virginia out of 566 total entries! Quads like this are typically light in body, but heavy in ABV so tread carefully!
- 11.0 lb (4.99 kg) Dingemans Pilsner malt
- 5.0 lb (2.27 kg) Dingemans Pale malt
- 1.0 oz (28 g) U.S. Magnum pellets, 13.5% a.a. (60 min)
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS
- 2.0 lb (0.9 kg) D-180 candi syrup (flame out)
- White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale, 4L starter, plus 1 pack of Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity
Yield: 6 US gal
Original Gravity: 1.090
Final Gravity: 1.010
Mash grains in 8.7 gallons (33 L) water at 150° F (66° C) for 90 minutes. Mash out at 170° F (77° C) for 15 minutes. Boil 90 minutes.
Substitute 13 lb (5.9 kg) Pilsner malt extract syrup for pale and pilsner malts.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.