Perfect for a dark and stormy night, Drew Beechum’s “My Smoked Dark Heart” is a smoked black lager with soft roasted notes and a malt body resting somewhere between Pilsner crisp and Bock maltiness. As Drew would warn you, don’t depend on English-style chocolate and black patent malts for deep blackness. The beer will have an overabundance of roast and not taste like a lager. He recommends Weyermann’s line of Carafa® chocolate malts, as well as Carafa Special malt because the husk is taken away to remove aggressive flavors and roast acidity. To Drew, the Carafa Special tastes like dark toffee blended with your favorite mild coffee.
For more tips and advice about Drew Beechum’s “My Smoked Dark Heart” and his other dark lagers, check out “A Darkness More than Lager” in the November/December 2009 Zymurgy issue.
My Smoked Dark Heart Lager | Other Smoked Beer
- 4.0 lb (1.8 kg) Weyermann Pilsner Malt
- 4.0 lb (1.8 kg) Weyermann Rauch Malt (Beechwood Smoked)
- 3.0 lb (1.3 kg) Weyermann Munich Malt
- 0.75 lb (340 g) Weyermann Carafa Special III
- 0.50 lb (226 g) Weyermann Crsyral 60L
- 0.30 oz (8.5 g) Magnum (pellets), alpha acid 14% (60 min)
- Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager / WLP838 South German Lager
- Original Gravity: 1.058
- IBU: 18
- SRM: 31
- Boil Time: 90 minutes
Mash at 125°F (52°C) for 20 minutes. Mash at 154°F (68°C) for 60 minutes. Boil for 90 minutes.
Substitute 3 lb Pilsner LME, 3 lb Weyermann Bamberg Rauch LME and 2 lb Munich LME for the malts.