This beer recipe is featured in the March/April 2017 issue of Zymurgy magazine. Join the American Homebrewers Association or start your 30-day free trial to access the Zymurgy online archive and other exclusive member benefits!
Most of the hops we use for brewing are of the variety Humulus lupulus var. lupulus, but strains of H. lupulus var. neomexicanus, Medusa, has appeared in at least two commercial beers: Sierra Nevada’s Harvest Wild Hop IPA and Crazy Mountain Brewing Company’s Neomexicanus Native Pale Ale. And the experimental variety HBC 438, now known as Sabro, was made available to homebrewers in 2014.
Stone-Faced IPA is built around Medusa, but any variety of neomexicanus should work just as well and may be easier to source, Sabro in particular. The monks of the Benedictine Monastery of Christ in the Desert in New Mexico grow five other varieties—Chama, Latir, Tierra, Amalia, and Mintras—which have sold out quickly in the past, but more and more farms are devoting acreage to these uniquely North American varieties.
Stone-Faced IPA | American IPA
- 12 lb. (5.44 kg) pale 2-row malt
- 4 oz. (113 g) crystal 40° L malt
- 1 oz. (28 g) Magnum, 12% a.a. (60 min
- 1 oz. (28 g) Medusa, 4.5% a.a. (10 min
- 1 oz. (28 g) Medusa, 4.5% a.a. (0 min
- 1 oz. (28 g) Medusa, 4.5% a.a. (whirlpool, 10 min)
- 1 oz. (28 g) Medusa, 4.5% a.a. (dry hop, 5 days)
- Wyeast 1056 American Ale, White Labs WLP001 California Ale, or Safale US-05
- Additional Items
- 1 Whirlfloc tablet added 10 minutes before end of boil
- Original Gravity: 1.063 (15.4° P)
- Final Gravity: 1.012 (3° P)
- ABV: 6.7%
- IBU: 52
- SRM: 7
Mash 60 minutes at 152° F (67° C), lauter, and sparge. Collect approximately 6.5 gallons (24.6 L) of wort and boil 60 minutes, adding hops and Whirlfloc per the indicated schedule. Whirlpool (or steep whirlpool hops in hot wort before chilling) 10 minutes, then chill to 64° F (18° C) and pitch yeast. Ferment at 10 days or until specific gravity stabilizes at or near 1.012 (3° P). Rack to secondary and add dry hops. Allow to condition on dry hops for 5 days before packaging with 2.6 volumes (5.2 g/L) CO2.
Malt Extract Version
Steep crystal malt for 30 minutes at 155° F (68° C), substitute 8.75 lb (4 kg) pale malt extract syrup for 2-row, and proceed with boil as above.