This American-style pale ale recipe exclusively utilizes Zamba hops, the first proprietary release in the BSG Hop Solutions Program. This hop blend is named for the overwhelming tropical dance explosion its aroma evokes. You can expect complex aroma characterized by juicy tropical fruits (pineapple, mango), stone fruits, candy, and orange tangerine.
This homebrew recipe is based on Citra Summit American Pale Ale, which earned Ben Gaylord (Denver, CO) a bronze medal in the 2019 National Homebrew Competition.
- 10.5 lbs 2-Row malt
- 1.5 lbs Munich malt 10L
- 0.5 lbs Cara-Pils malt
- 0.25 lbs Crystal malt 60L
- 0.5 oz Zamba pellets, 12% AA, first wort hop
- 1.0 oz Zamba pellets, 12% AA, 20 min
- 1.0 oz Zamba pellets, 12% AA, 10 min
- 1.0 oz Zamba pellets, 12% AA, 5 min
- 1.5 oz Zamba pellets, 12% AA,whirlpool 15 min
- 3.0 oz Zamba pellets, 12% AA, Dry hop 7 days
- White Labs WLP002 English Ale
Yield: 5.5 US gal
Original Gravity: 1.067
Final Gravity: 1.012
Single infusion mash at 154° F for 60 minutes. Lauter then boil for 60 minutes. Add whirlpool hops, and allow 15 minutes of contact time. Chill to 68° F and pitch healthy yeast starter. Ferment at 68° F. On day 7, add dry hops and allow temperature to free rise to 72° F. Dry hop for 7 days. Force carbonate to 2.6 vol. CO2.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.