Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Nice Rice  (Read 11213 times)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Nice Rice
« on: December 14, 2011, 11:08:52 am »
I feel like there's not too much I can't eventually, over time, master in the kitchen, but for the life of me, I cannot make decent rice. The 3-minute stuff comes out nice and fluffy, but anytime I make real rice it comes out gummy.

What are your tricks?

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Nice Rice
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 11:52:26 am »
We use basmati rice almost all the time here.  Our trick is to rinse it very well, then use 1.75 cups of water for 1 cup of rice.  Boil the rice uncovered(moderate heat) until the water level equals the level of the rice.  Cover and simmer at very low heat for 22 minutes.  22 minutes is what works for us, but we're at 3100' above sea level and boiling point for water is 202F so thing take longer to cook.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 12:00:11 pm »
I mostly cook brown rice but with minor modifications it works for white as well

~2 to 1 ratio water to rice (a little less water as you increase the amount of rice)
bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and simmer until you don't see any water on top of the rice, just little bubbles coming up past the surface. Turn off the heat and let set for 10-15 minutes' fluff and serve. It takes ~45 minutes for brown ~30 for white.

you can rinse it if you want but it makes the measurments trickier, then you have to use the mount fuji method of putting in the desired amount of rinsed rice, place you hand on top of the rice with so that the knuckes at the base of your fingers look like a mountain top and fill with water until it's even with the knuckles
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 12:05:46 pm »

you can rinse it if you want but it makes the measurments trickier, then you have to use the mount fuji method of putting in the desired amount of rinsed rice, place you hand on top of the rice with so that the knuckes at the base of your fingers look like a mountain top and fill with water until it's even with the knuckles
I never did anything remotely like that and our rice is pretty much perfect every time whether I make it or my wife does.  I really don't understand why rinsing would throw off the measurements in any meaningful way.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 12:12:57 pm »
Fire-and-forget!

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 12:29:34 pm »
No NOI NO!

Take a measured amount of white rice- a cup is fine, Rinse if you want- I do. Cover rice with cold water until the level reaches the middle of your thumbnail while the tip of your thumb rests on top of the rice.

Add salt and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling all across the surface place the lid on and drop the heat to practically nothing. Gas-stove shows just a hint of a flame. Electric as low as it will go and still stay on.

Steam the rice for a minimum of 15 minutes. I prefer to set the timer for 18. After the timer goes off turn the heat off and leave the rice to cool for at least 15-20 minutes.

Perfect steamed rice every time. I've been doing it this way for 20 years. And bear in mind if you increase the amount of rice the amount of water is decreased slightly.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 12:37:30 pm »
Fire-and-forget!

+1.  This is how I've cooked rice for the last 20 years.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 12:41:36 pm »
No NOI NO!

Take a measured amount of white rice- a cup is fine, Rinse if you want- I do. Cover rice with cold water until the level reaches the middle of your thumbnail while the tip of your thumb rests on top of the rice.

Guess she'd have a problem using your method...

Joe

Offline punatic

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 12:42:09 pm »
No NOI NO!

Add salt and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling all across the surface place the lid on and drop the heat to practically nothing. Gas-stove shows just a hint of a flame. Electric as low as it will go and still stay on.

Steam the rice for a minimum of 15 minutes. I prefer to set the timer for 18. After the timer goes off turn the heat off and leave the rice to cool for at least 15-20 minutes.

Perfect steamed rice every time. I've been doing it this way for 20 years. And bear in mind if you increase the amount of rice the amount of water is decreased slightly.

No?

Load equal parts (by volume) water and rice in the cooker (hold the salt) press the button and come back a half hour later to perfect rice.  It does all that fussing for you automatically.

Every kitchen in Hawaii has one.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 12:45:47 pm »
i cover the rice with about an inch of water, boil slowly until their are pock marks in the rice surface, fluff and enjoy.
Don AHA member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 12:47:59 pm »
The rice-cookers do indeed turn out perfect rice. I choose to do it instead in my multi-use saucepan.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 12:50:16 pm »
The rice-cookers do indeed turn out perfect rice. I choose to do it instead in my multi-use saucepan.

That's OK euge.  We love you anyway.   ;)   :D

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 01:07:11 pm »
My favorite rice is the following, vaguely from memory...

First soak and rinse 1 cup basmati several times...

Then in a sauce pan, add 3 Tbsp (you heard right!) and start heating.  Throw in 2 peppercorns, 2 cardamom pods, 2 cloves, a 1 inch cinnamon stick, and a bay leaf and heat the spices while stirring for a couple minutes.  Then add your soaked and drained basmati...I like to stir it to coat evenly and then cook it for another minute or two...then add a couple cups of water, an amount of salt which eludes my memory, but a normal amount (1/2 tsp or 1 tsp?), stir, bring to light boil, cover, and simmer gently for I forget how long...12-15 minutes maybe?

Fluff the rice, and root around for the whole spices and remove (that's why its good to have a fixed amount to add, you'll know when you've found them all).  The butter adds fat, but the scent of browned butter and spices with this rice is wonderful.  Great with dal and curry dishes.  I've even made it when not otherwise cooking Indian (ie as a side to steak).

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 01:13:55 pm »
I never thought I'd get so many different ways to make rice. Thanks for all the suggestions.

What exactly is a rice cooker? It looks like a small crock pot.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 01:34:15 pm »
rice cookers look like that but the inside is usually metal. they really are very efficient and do a great job.  the ones i have had you just put in the rice, equal water, cover and push the button.  they do the rest.  i just got tired of having specialty appliances in the way.  i mean i need room for beer, right?
Don AHA member