Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yet another Brutus-10 build!  (Read 15468 times)

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Yet another Brutus-10 build!
« on: December 16, 2011, 01:03:06 pm »
Finally getting to post these.  Finished my brutus build about 3 months ago, although its always a work in progress(cleaning up wires, insulating things, getting the burners to run more efficiently etc.)  But Im super happy with it and finally have the system honed in and producing consistent stuff!  Oh and these pics were from the initial test run, dont worry I moved the control box off the propane tank and onto a mount!  Put it there cuz I couldnt them damn burners to fire for the life of me at first!

Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Yet another Brutus-10 build!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 01:41:13 pm »
Nice job!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 08:59:45 pm »
Sweeeettt!!!  8)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 10:44:07 pm »
Nice nano brewery.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

ohiobrewman

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 03:56:42 pm »
Very nice!!!!

looking at building a Brutus Base system here in about a week.
Came over here to get some ideas. :)

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 04:09:06 pm »
awesome! quick question: those copper colored 4inch tubes sticking out of the mash tun and HLT - are those electric heating elements? Is that how you keep heating your mash and HLT?If so what wattage? 1500? 4000? (I've been talking about this on another thread and this is a perfect example - I think).

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 08:44:48 am »
Very nice!!!!

Feel free to ask any questions, lets just keep them posted in here so everyone can see them.  I also see your in Ohio, whereabouts? If youre close to the Youngstown area youre welcome to come check out the system in person.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 08:47:41 am »
awesome! quick question: those copper colored 4inch tubes sticking out of the mash tun and HLT - are those electric heating elements? Is that how you keep heating your mash and HLT?If so what wattage? 1500? 4000? (I've been talking about this on another thread and this is a perfect example - I think).

I believe you're referring to the RTD tees.  There is an RTD(temperature probe) inside of those copper tees, which are connected to camlocks.  I re-circ the mash and HLT through the out ball valves, which the tee snaps onto easily with the cam lock, I can then attach the hose to the bottom of the tee so Im measuring the outflow temp of the wort and sparge water.  Those probes are hooked into my PID control box. When the burner is set to "auto" position the RTD tells the PID controller on the control box to fire the burner or shut it off based on the temp I need.
Jason

ohiobrewman

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 08:54:54 am »
Very nice!!!!

Feel free to ask any questions, lets just keep them posted in here so everyone can see them.  I also see your in Ohio, whereabouts? If youre close to the Youngstown area youre welcome to come check out the system in person.

That would be awesome.
I'm in North Akron, Cuyahoga Falls area.. :)

I really need someone who can do some welding for me.
I would also like some wheels on it.
Actually going to do heatsticks because where I'm living right now, I don't have access to Gas.
That is until I get moved into my house in the next few months.

I Batch Sparge in a cooler so no need for a MLT. Denny's Cheap 'N Easy :)

I'm actually on my way out to the Grocery Store. But will PM you later on once I get back.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 08:56:33 am by ohiobrewman »

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 09:14:02 am »
I actually had an extra stand built and welded just in case I messed up the first attempt haha.  Its not stainless steel, but high temp paint cured properly works well.  I still have the extra stand, it doesnt have casters on it.  The thing cost me 180 bucks(each) to have done.  If you want my extra stand Ill be happy to sell it to you at my cost of 180 bucks. Again its just the frame, steel welded and done. No burners or anything.

I actually work in Northfield so I could easily meet you. with the stand, or you can come out and brew one day! I brew near Sharon, PA as my uncle has a lot more space and a heated garage.
Jason

ohiobrewman

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 09:55:05 am »
I actually had an extra stand built and welded just in case I messed up the first attempt haha.  Its not stainless steel, but high temp paint cured properly works well.  I still have the extra stand, it doesnt have casters on it.  The thing cost me 180 bucks(each) to have done.  If you want my extra stand Ill be happy to sell it to you at my cost of 180 bucks. Again its just the frame, steel welded and done. No burners or anything.

I actually work in Northfield so I could easily meet you. with the stand, or you can come out and brew one day! I brew near Sharon, PA as my uncle has a lot more space and a heated garage.

That would be perfect for me. Completely awesome!!!
I can add pumps and everything else I need to it.
The price is right too. I defiantly want the Stand for $180.00!!!!

Waiting on my Taxes to come back and will let you know when I get it. Supposed to be by the 31st.

I also want to get a Country Malt Order going as well.
I want to stock up on 13 bags myself, While I will have the cash.

\Also other stuff to get like a 42" HDTV and a Xbox and new Cell Phone....LOL

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 10:21:28 am »
Ron Price

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 10:22:57 am »
Sounds like a plan! If you want to make the trek out to the Sharon, PA area(about 75 minutes from Akron), youre welcome to come out.  You can grab the stand and see mine in action to get some ideas.  I brew pretty much every weekend.  So the first weekend of Feb or any subsequent weekend would be fine by me. Here is my brew schedule for the month of February(the date is tentative, sometimes I do it on Sunday as opposed to Saturday or even occasionally Friday nights so we could firm that up the week prior).

FEBRUARY
4th- Milk Stout
11th- Baltic Porter
18th- Heff
25th- Belgian Tripel

Alternatively if you want we can arrange a meet up in the Northfield area if you'd rather just pick up the stand!
Jason

ohiobrewman

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 11:40:16 am »
Sounds like a plan! If you want to make the trek out to the Sharon, PA area(about 75 minutes from Akron), youre welcome to come out.  You can grab the stand and see mine in action to get some ideas.  I brew pretty much every weekend.  So the first weekend of Feb or any subsequent weekend would be fine by me. Here is my brew schedule for the month of February(the date is tentative, sometimes I do it on Sunday as opposed to Saturday or even occasionally Friday nights so we could firm that up the week prior).

FEBRUARY
4th- Milk Stout
11th- Baltic Porter
18th- Heff
25th- Belgian Tripel

Alternatively if you want we can arrange a meet up in the Northfield area if you'd rather just pick up the stand!

I will have to come over to PA sometime, Just had a Daughter over here so my hands are kinda tied at the moment.
We can do the Northfield meet up, that would be convenient for the both of us.
There's a Winking Lizard up there as well...:)

If we make it a weekend I can get my Cousin and his Durango :)

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 01:10:06 pm »
I am up here Monday-Friday from about 8:30 to 4:30 for work. I try not to drive up here on weekends since I live in Sharon, PA and commute to northfield everyday for work.  I actually work right next to Leeners on Olde Eight Rd, the Winking Lizard is only a mile or so away from me. I can meet you before during or right after work time on any weekday thats convenient.  Ill dig up the exact measurements on the stand so you know how much room you need. Im guessing you should be able to stand it up on any back seat of a regular car and not have much issue since its just the frame.  I know it fits in my jeep liberty backseat just fine!
Jason